CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Acoustic data transmission with PIC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danielkr

Acoustic data transmission with PIC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:51 pm     Reply with quote

Hi folks.

My plan is to implement a data transmission between two PICS with basically speakers and microphones. Have anyone seen anything a project like this before?
After some reading and googling I think I will use an AM-modulation or a modulation built by sending two diffrent frequencies, one meaning 1 and the other meaning 0.
I'm planning to do the A/D sampling and generation of output signal from one single PIC, what do you think of the demands on this PIC. no. timers etc?

To be updated... Idea

Cheers! Cool
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:29 pm     Reply with quote

Add an NE567, and make your job easy. To do tone decoding on a PIC with no other hardware, will be a major job, and unlikely to be reliable, even if you can get it to work...

Best Wishes
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Acoustic data transmission with PIC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:35 pm     Reply with quote

danielkr wrote:
Have anyone seen anything a project like this before?

There is a number of designs out there for PIC-based ultrasonic rangefinders. From a hardware perspective, an ultrasonic rangefinder is similar to a communication system. A typical rangefinder consists of a transmitter and a receiver connected to the same PIC. If you take 2 pieces of such rangefinder hardware, you can write firmware that would make them communicate to each-other.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:00 pm     Reply with quote

The rangefinders all use either an external filter, or rely on the filter behaviour of the resonant transducer, to detect the tone. Effectively, they only have to time digital data. A huge difference, and a lot more easy than trying to decode a tone in software. I designed one of the smallest of these units on the market, and did the whle thing in an 8pin PIC. Trying to actually decode a tone, is a couple of orders of magnitude harder, and to do it reasonably 'well', is another order of magnitude beyond this....

Best Wishes
Storic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

sound simular to a project I have started however not finished as yet, (waiting for dsPIC compiler) I intend to use is TCP/IP LAN to transmit my normal comms between PIC's as well Audio communication. (the dsPIC has the built in cadic coding for audio function)

Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:00 am     Reply with quote

Quote:

My plan is to implement a data transmission between two PICS with basically speakers and microphones.

There are a very interesting transducer device (named Multi Function) that is a
Speaker & Receiver that work in the audio frequencies, have good sensitivity
and combined with the NE567 -as Ttelmah suggest- as the receiver front end
would be a good choice to start with an acoustical half duplex project.

http://www.shenghui.com/fatcat/upImg/SM15S12R003-A.pdf

It will not be necessary two tones, a single tone will be enough, just start with
a know header tone, - to wake up and synchronize the receiver - following
that, you can start sending the data packets.

Humberto
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: