CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CAN problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbrew1

CAN problems
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:48 pm     Reply with quote

I have two pic18f458s smd ,connected by a can network. Node#1 is just sending, node#2 is just reading. If node#2's pic is running , then node#1 stops sending(both can driver and pic). Ocasionally the node#1 will transmit and the other node will correctly receive data.

pic is running at 40M
can running about 71khz
can driver mcp2551 smd

Thanks for any info as I have run out of things to try.

Paul
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:53 pm     Reply with quote

1. Did you build the hardware yourself, or did you buy a development
board ?

2. If you bought the board (or boards), what brand and model are they ?

3. If you built it yourself, do you have the 120 ohm terminator resistors
on each end of the bus ?

4. What driver software are you using ? The CCS drivers ?

5. What is your CCS compiler version ?

6. Why the 71 KHz speed ? Why not 125 kbits/sec or one of the
other "standard" speeds ?
pbrew1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:13 am     Reply with quote

I build the hardware myself using TQFP44 18f458 pic

There is a 120 ohm resistor on each board next to can driver

Using CCS 3.226

I was using speed set by ccs sofware, I then changed the can_brg_prescalar from 4 to 20. Did not help anything. No reason for the specific speed, just thought slowing it might help.

Node 1 will transmit when node 2 has power but not when pic is running.
The can line goes to its recessive state of about 2.5V for each line.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:48 am     Reply with quote

Post your code.

You do know that when only 1 module is running that it is not 'sending' valid messages right? It will send a message but it will report back that there was an error since no other modules set the ACK bit at the end of its message.

CAN needs at least 2 modules to work. Both pics must be ON and have can modules enabled/ready.

If you are sending message with node 1 while node 2 is off or in the listen-only mode and node1 reports no errors and successful transmission, you have a problem. Most likely in that case that you have node1 in loopback mode.

Make sure both nodes are in normal mode when you do a live test. And really, you should use loopback to test each one seperately, THEN connect them in normal.

That is what loopback is for.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:51 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
I then changed the can_brg_prescalar from 4 to 20.

Also, it sounds like you are inventing your own bit timing.
On the following thread, scroll down about 1/3 of way into it and you'll
find a large article I posted on how to setup CAN bus bit timing parameters.
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22138&highlight=bit+timing
sjbaxter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

Paul,

You might also want to look at this thread:

Can you help?

This also addresses some of the main problems encountered when getting CAN up and running.

A post of your code would really help to narrow down the problem.

You may also need to think about CAN_ENABLE_DRIVE_HIGH. This by default is zero. Depending upon the CAN tranceiver, you may need to set this to 1. otherwise the transmit line from the controller/PIC to transceiver will float giving very unpredictable results.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:29 pm     Reply with quote

You don't need a DRIVE_HIGH with a MCP2551.
sjbaxter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:58 pm     Reply with quote

Wasn't sure when I posted it, but I think it is worth mentioning.

I use the Philips PCA82C250/251 tranceivers which do need it setting to 1.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:12 am     Reply with quote

I used bit timing calculator and set baud to 125 kps. It now works fine. Never suspected abitrarily choosing TQ would cause problems. Why is it that when I search for "can" (on this forum) I don't get any results?

Thanks for all the help, don't think I would have ever got very far without it.

Paul
sjbaxter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:32 am     Reply with quote

Maybe the moderators need to add a few extra forum categories to the main forum page based on device capabilities, i.e. CAN, ADC, SERIAL, GENERAL I/O, LIN, TIMERS, HARDWARE INTERFACING, etc

Also areas for specific topics such as the IDE and COMPILER versions.

rather than just GENERAL CCS C DISCUSSION and CODE LIBRARY.

I know this is a CCS C forum, but it can be broken down into different categories to make life a bit more ordered.

Examples:

Hauppage Forum

even the phpBB forum is a good example !!!

phpBB Forum

Come on Darren ... Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:33 am     Reply with quote

What issues could anyone see if I had 13 nodes on a network (with about a meter of cable) interms of reliability. Should the 120 ohm terminator be on every node as we get it to work when we only put it on the final node on the cable. I'm yet to work out if it is CAN harware but, very rarely, I am only able to get comms between 7 or so nodes where each has an individual address. it's one of those intermittent things. Even if i recycle the power on the network, still certain nodes won't repsond that should default to a 'listen' stage when freshly programmed. My code works 95 times out of a 100 which is why i believe it could be hardware? I've not done anything with CAN speeds so I would assume they are set to default. It's not a major issue at the moment, I thought someone might have an obvious suggestion?

Cheers
sjbaxter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:11 am     Reply with quote

You should only have 2 x 120ohm resistors on a network. They should be at the furthest ends of the network spine. They are there to prevent signal reflections.

I have a network with 42 nodes that run without any problems at all ! I have worked on networks with 80+ nodes on them.

The network should look like:

Code:

N          N          N     N      N
              |          |          |     |      |
[N]T-------------------------------------------------------T[N]
         |           |          |           |          |
         N           N          N           N          N

where:

N=Node,
T=Terminator,
[N] = optional node with terminator internally fitted.

Firstly, get the cabling/termination right. Then ensure that no node is causing bus errors as this will increase the bus load and prevent other nodes geting their messages sent/ACK'ed. If you do get a node causing errors, don't allow it back on the network straight away.

You may also want to check the CAN_ENABLE_DRIVE_HIGH flag as discussed earlier in the post as this will cause nodes to randomly throw data onto the CAN bus causing other nodes to generate bus errors, etc.

Ensure ALL nodes are at the same speed.

If the bus load gets too high (i.e. always aim for less than 60% to allow for collisions and bit stuffing), ensure that each node uses the hardware filtering and only listen for messages that they want. (The PIC won't handle every message that is thrown at it in software ... it's not fast enough). If you use CAN_RX interrupts, an unfiltered node will never get any processing time outside of the interrupt handler !!!!!

I made myself a PIC node that tries to TX a single message and then monitors and displays the RX Errors and TX errors. This was a good tool for ensuring that all data on the bus was good and error free.

Does the problem increase with each node you add to the network ?
What is the bus speed ?
11 bit or 29 bit ID's ?
How many messages from each node do you send and at what interval ?

If you are addressing nodes (and I presume that if for some kind of request/response protocol) ensure that all node addresses are unique ! .. I'm sure you've already checked this one.

Are you using data frames or trying to get remote frames working ?

If none of this helps, post an example of a nodes code ... maybe it is code related.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:51 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for that, that is the arrangement i have. I have sorted the addressing out with a home made algorithm that seems to work pretty well. I'm looking in my code for an area that it could get stuck in, it appears that a power recycle doesn't do anything at times when the system is locked up (actually when some nodes are locked up). I get can errors displayed by a master node when 13 nodes are sending stuff out simulataneous but the system carries on doing what it should. how do you know the bus load? I do use hardware filtering.

I have noticed the system changes if you add and remove nodes (this either removes a node that is locked up, or it alter the can performance i guess).

I have to confess, I don't know what speed the bus is!!

a message is sent from each node about every second.
sjbaxter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:46 am     Reply with quote

You can measure bus load with some tools (i.e CANKing and the microchip CAN dev board give you a rough figure). You can calculate it based on the message length (in bits) roughly assume around 120 bits, the bus speed and number of messages sent in a second. Its a ROUGH estimation. You need a CAN controller with this built into the hardware to do it properly.

Nodes will appear locked up if they can't empty their TX buffers (it stays there retrying on the bus until it gets an ACK from someone or the TX Error count makes the node error passive or bus off) if you sit waiting for the buffer to empty before TX.

In this case, a hardware error will cause your code to block. I usually have a timeout on TX buffer empty check of a few milliseconds, it the buffer doesn't empty in that time I assume there is 'trouble on the bus' or no other node on the bus and retry again later. If a retry count reaches a certain value then I flush the tx queue, set an LED showing the status (BUS ERR) and try going bus on again in a couple of seconds.

Remember, CAN is not deterministic (i.e. timing is un-predictable), so if a message can't be sent, don't send it ! just try again later. That approach alone will prevent the nodes locking up.

If you get to that point and the messages still don't get sent, then it is a hardware or mis-match in timing problem.

When I created a PIC based USB-CAN interface, it took quite a bit of error checking and bus on/off control before I got a robust node that wouldn't cause errors, or be affected by errors, on the bus.

Your not getting a deadlock occuring in your 'protocol' between nodes are you ?

If you haven't already got some CAN monitoring device (ie. PC interface), I suggest you do. As troubleshooting/developing CAN networks on anything more than 2 or 3 nodes can be tricky.

I'm curious to know ... what is the project ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:29 am     Reply with quote

sjbaxter wrote:
Remember, CAN is not deterministic (i.e. timing is un-predictable), so if a message can't be sent, don't send it ! just try again later. That approach alone will prevent the nodes locking up.

Do you suggest using somethng more substantial that simply
Code:
if(can_putd(rx_id out_data, tx_len,tx_pri,tx_ext,tx_rtr));
Would using the
Code:
while ~putd
and a timeout status be better practice. I ask as whiles could easily catch me out and be a source of the lock.

Quote:
Nodes will appear locked up if they
Is this still the case after a power recycle? I get CAN errors but as i said, it appears the system finds time to sort itself out (possibly because i leave 1 second between each transmit??). I do end up reprogramming the nodes which suggests there has been a major error although I'm not sure of the fine details regarding this CAN situation and the power recycle?

Quote:
Your not getting a deadlock occuring in your 'protocol' between nodes are you ?
You've lost me here. 12 peripheral nodes are programmed identically, with my other node being the master, all CAN initialisation etc is identical as I haven't looked at speeds and different protocols from the default.

Quote:
If you haven't already got some CAN monitoring device (ie. PC interface),
I'm not sure what you mean? There is no designated software on my PC monitoring the CAN. I have one line of code that looks for an error in the can on my main board which prints a warning to my pc. although not ideal, i let the can sort itself out so the buffers are probably all over the place.

Having never done any embedded C, i have been given a task of programming a piece of test equipment. I hook up my main board to a 12 way switch where at the other end is one of my other nodes. i need to know which channel each node is connected to. I could have manually set each node with an RX-ID and plugged it in to a known channel....but that was too easy. The issue comes when my mainboard is trying to arrange 12 individual addresses for these 12 nodes. 9 times out of 10 it works like a dream (12 nodes assign themselves a unique address, i've been limiting the number of possible addresses to 20 to make sure my algorithm works, but this is unnecessary really), othertimes only 7 nodes will respond to the main board basically saying i'm sorted out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: