CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Detect when serial cable is disconnected

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grasspuddle

Detect when serial cable is disconnected
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:48 am     Reply with quote

About a month ago I was working on a project which required the pic to know when something was d/c from it through the serial connection. I failed miserably. I ended up putting in a watchdog to see if it timed out when a getc was called and d/c the cable on the pic's reset.

Now i'm curious as to anyone has tried doing the same thing and succeeded. The way I thought it out was to have the ground or any other pin on the serial cable that I knew would be always high or low when connected and poll it periodically. It never worked the way I planned, but once I did get it to recognize when it was connected(opposite of what I wanted). Probably because by connecting it, the voltage wavered.

I tried changing the pins inputs, used input(pin_a0) command and also checked the direction. What would've been the correct way? Wink
asmallri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:52 am     Reply with quote

what is d/c meant to mean? Disconnected?

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
grasspuddle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:54 am     Reply with quote

yes, disconnected
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:13 am     Reply with quote

If the RS232 transceiver being used, is working properly, 'getc', _should not_ hang on cable disconnect. Cable disconnect, should result in the pin at the processor going low, which will give a received character every character time, with a value of '0', and with the 'framing error' bit being set (since no stop bit is seen).
In the past, I have used my own check for FERR, and in the interrupt receive routine, turned off the UART, if the byte is a zero, with this bit set. Then in a timer routine, I simply read the input pin, and re-enable the UART, if the signal goes high.

Best Wishes
grasspuddle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:23 am     Reply with quote

thx for the fast response, I never even considered checking for stop bits. Just fooled around with the actual physical connection. That makes a lot of sense now.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:44 am     Reply with quote

MAX232-type transceivers have a 5K pulldown resistor on the inputs
of the receivers. If the cable is disconnected, the input to the receivers
therefore is a logic zero. This gets inverted by receiver and puts out
a logic high level to the PIC's UART Rx pin. A logic high is the idle
state for the UART. The getc() function will then "hang" (wait).

The solution for this is to call kbhit() to see if a character is available
before you call getc(). Or, use the CCS function "timed_getc()", which
has a timeout feature. It's in the Examples folder:
c:\program files\picc\examples\ex_tgetc.c
grasspuddle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:39 am     Reply with quote

Unfortunately I have to use a software USART as the picf452 i'm using has its hardware one wired into something else. I tried to get kbhit() to work with the software one, but it never worked.

I am using a max232/3 interface so I guess thats why it does hang, thx I now understand that.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:55 am     Reply with quote

This is actually a 'classic', that caught Dell out on their laptops.
You will find that there are really two meanings to 'break'. Detecting a cable break, or detecting a 'transmission' break. Systems using the MAX232, can only do the latter, not the former. Normally by detecting 'no data for 100mSec'. However a lot of the 'clone' chips default to giving a low, to allow detection of the former.
Now Dell elected on their laptops, to save power, by turning off the RS232 drivers, if the line stood low for a time, reasoning that with the 'Max232' approach, nobody would know the difference. Unfortunately, a lot of other systems do detect the line state, and this then causes problems (a search for Dell laptop RS232, will give an idea of just how much of a problem this is...).
I remember the designer of the MAX232, posting a while back, that he had elected to see a floating input as a 'mark' state. Some chips even allow this to be programmed.
The 'safe' appraoch, is to only ever retrieve characters inside an interrupt, or with a kbhit test first, and signal a 'break', either if the line state suggests it, or if there is a long pause in transmission.

Best Wishes
grasspuddle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:32 am     Reply with quote

not to totally go off topic here, BUT

Last year I did encounter a huge problem with dell laptops' serial ports. Lots of weird timeout errors and since the older laptops worked perfectly with all the software/cables the newer laptops were definately the cause. Spent days trying to figure a workaround. We were forced to use usb->serial adaptors to fix the problem. I never found out the problem, but what just said seems to describe the symptoms perfectly.

You're 2 for 2

Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: