CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Linux?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KamPutty

Linux?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:11 am     Reply with quote

Hi all,

Well, I may be moving some of my development platforms back to Linux. I have been currently using Windows XP.

I own version 3.234 for all 3 compilers (windows version)
I own the MachX

So my question is, does CCS REALLY support Linux with up-to-date drivers, software etc? How much of what I've purchased is lost? Meaning that it will not work with Linux.

Any thoughts?

~Kam (^8*
alanp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:58 pm     Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have the command line version of PCM and just going through the same move myself. I spoke to CCS and they replied saying that I could buy the maintainance contact for $99 to get the linux version.

I have played with it a little on linux. It does work under Wine so I will carry on with that for a little while before deciding whether to spend the extra money to get the full blown version.

Cheers
Storic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:57 pm     Reply with quote

I could not get my version to work under linix/wine. what version linix and wine are you using. Sad

I would like to work under linix, yes I will also get the software for linix in due course, I am waiting for after V4 release so I can look at the dsPIC and 24F micros before the jump to linix software. Shocked

Andrew Wink

Last edited by Storic on Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
asmallri

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:44 am     Reply with quote

alanp wrote:
Hi there,

I have the command line version of PCM and just going through the same move myself. I spoke to CCS and they replied saying that I could buy the maintainance contact for $99 to get the linux version.

Cheers

I received a different reponse when I wanted to move from my 1 month old version of PCH to Linux (was still under maintenance at the time). I was told I would have to buy the Linux version.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
MikeValencia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:44 am     Reply with quote

Regarding the compiler:
I was told that i would have to buy a new version of PCHL altogether, despite the fact that i have a pch and pcwh subscription already.

Regarding drivers and programming:
You have to email support in order to get the executables/drivers you need in order to use a MACHX or ICDU40. They are free by request, but not available on the website for downloading.

As for my experience trying to get it to work, tech support has been responsive, yet I still can't get it to work! First I tried it with Linspire Linux and also with Ubuntu Linux. I made the symbolic link from ttyUSB0 to ttyS0, yet I still can't get it to work. Now, in fact, everytime I invoke the executable, it just freezes, as if I corrupted something since the last time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If your "core competency" is being an embedded software engineer, then I suggest you stick with Windows for your host platform. I've lost many hours of productivity trying to embrace Linux over and over again. Back in the days when I used Solaris/Unix at work, we had systems administrators and people assigned administrate the makefiles and directories. All I had to worry about was writing C code and typing in "make all" at the end. With Linux, you have to spend a lot of time in community forums asking for help to get a plugin to work, and you have to wear the hat of sys admin at the same time. After all that, you realize your ICD still doesn't work right under Linux, so you go back to your trusted WinXP computer in order to get some real work done.
alanp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:05 pm     Reply with quote

I'm running gentoo 2.6.16-gentoo-r7 with Wine 0.9.8. I got PCM 3.224 runnning with not too many problems. I don't think that I had to do too much in Wine to get it running.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Storic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:32 pm     Reply with quote

alanp wrote:
I'm running gentoo 2.6.16-gentoo-r7 with Wine 0.9.8. I got PCM 3.224 running with not too many problems. I don't think that I had to do too much in Wine to get it running.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Thanks, I will give it a go Very Happy

yes MikeValencia I to had spend many hours trying to get linix/wine to work with my WinXP. I do maintain a system running under UNIX and every time I have to go into UNIX I pray the information I need to do is correct. I have been caught out where I a 1 hour job turned into a 2 day event.

Andrew
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: