CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

I2C Intended Purpose

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FirstSteps

I2C Intended Purpose
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:34 am     Reply with quote

Would any I2C experts comment on this, please?

It is my understanding that I2C was intended only for on-card communication between chips and not intended for off-card networking or over-wire networking.

An example: Wiring up a group of 16 5" x 6" cards with I2C in an area no larger than a desktop, in a high EMI environment.

This would *not* be an appropriate use of I2C. Agreed?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:34 am     Reply with quote

A card can 'be' in a high-emi enviroment, but have no great amount of emi present locally, depending (of course) on how well the 'unit' as a whole is shielded. If the connections are in a high-emi location, then I2C, is not the interface of choice, but if there are constraints on the number of connections, most of the 'better' solutions, will require extra wires (differential etc.). However it is possible to improve I2C, for exactly this type of application, but with the need to add extra software/hardware, to ruggedise the connection. You can use active termination, in place of the normal passive pull ups, with overvoltage protection present, possibly opto-coupling, and even perhaps add error checking to the protocol.
Have a look at Philips AN255-02, which describes the use of their PCA9511...PCA9518 'rugged I2C' transceivers. These are designed for 'hot swap' cards in an enviroment, very much as you describe.
So, 'simple I2C', is probably not the interface of choice, but there are I2C extensions, that may make the interface a good choice for the application described. If the system is using such transceivers, then it may be a perfectly good solution.

Best Wishes
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:19 am     Reply with quote

Originally, the I2C was designed for communication between the smart bettry and the host system. You're right, it was not designed to work in the EMI environment. As Ttelman has mentioned, you could try to ruggedize the I2C. The first thing I woul try is to "simply" shield the inter-board cables.

CAN and RS485 would be a better choice for the EMI environment. On the other hand, the number of peripherals that support CAN is small compared to the number of peripherals that support I2C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: