CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Measuring charge of NiMh batteries with PIC (adc)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christophe

Measuring charge of NiMh batteries with PIC (adc)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:36 am     Reply with quote

Hello,

We are charing 4X niMh 1600mAh battery pack at 600 mA. The nominal voltage is 5V. They seem to be charged at 6.1V

We are using the LTC4060. Review the schematic:

http://users.[spam].be/chs/Werk/Laadcircuit.jpg

Battery voltage is measured by a PĪC processor ADC via a voltage divider

Now I am searching for a way to know how much % the batteries are charged? I can detect the start and the end of a charge cycle.

Is the max. voltage always the same when batteries are full?

If the max battery voltage gets higher, does the charge curve gets higher linearly?
Humberto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:20 am     Reply with quote

Christophe,

Microchip has a very good AN: Intelligent Battery Charger Reference Design that you would read it before to start, it has some algorithms and reference values that support NiMh technology.

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/30451c.pdf

Humberto
Christophe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:32 am     Reply with quote

Tks for the input but all that is done by the LTC4060. I only want to know the %charge when charging.
rwyoung

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:57 am     Reply with quote

Read the application notes anyway. One thing that is not easy to estimate is % charge based only on the pack voltage. You really need to be counting coulombs. Count them going in and count them coming back out again.

Look around on the TI web site, they have some ICs that do this and probably enough information to figure out how to make a PIC plus a few other parts emulate the same function.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:16 am     Reply with quote

The normal key, is Dv/Dt.
You cannot really rely on voltage with almost any battery. However when they become fully charged, the cell voltage will stabilise, then drop, and this is the indicator of fully charged, normally used for NiCd batteries.
Unfortunately, NiMh, batteries only show a tiny drop, so this is not a common method on better chargers. The rate of change of temperature, rises sharply at the full charge, so heat is a good indicator of NiMh charge completion. However some chargers do just look for the levelling of the voltage characteristic. 'Belt and braces', with a limit on heat, combined with voltage change detection, is also effective.
You can use the cell voltage as a _very_ approximate indicator of charge state, on the way to this point.

Best Wishes
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

on fuel gauges
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:41 pm     Reply with quote

rwyoung wrote:
One thing that is not easy to estimate is % charge based only on the pack voltage. You really need to be counting coulombs. Count them going in and count them coming back out again.

I would like to second that oppinion. Also, there is s number of fuel-gauge chips that combine the current-sense amplifier, A/D, digital integrator and sometimes EEPROM. Most of them are designed for the Li chemistries, but theer are some for the Ni chemistries as well. Usually their digital interface is I2C. Some are designed to work with the miscrocontroller inside the battery pack (like my favorite MAX1660), while others log the counted coulombs into the EEPROM, and don't require a uC in the battery pack.

Obviously, you could roll your own PIC-based fuel gauge.
Christophe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:46 am     Reply with quote

Thks 4 the input. So I've learned that the only accurate way to measure battery charge is a fuel gauge IC counting coulombs in and out. Now as hardware is allready finished I cannot implement this.

With the LTC4060 I've got -DV/Dt; DT/Dt and a time limit. So that should be safe.

As for battery charge I've only got the battery voltage.

So
6.1V = 100%
5.9 = 90%
5.5 = 10%

using the curve and a lookup table.

Q: Is the maximum battery voltage always _approximately_ the same at full charge?
asmallri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:56 am     Reply with quote

No. It depends on the temperature of the battery pack.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
JFK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:45 am     Reply with quote

asmallri wrote:
No. It depends on the temperature of the battery pack.

Absolutely spot on, as the temperature of the batterys vary so will the their voltage so this is not a very good indication of a fully charged battery.

As you have access to the battery voltage I would suggest that the best method that you can implement to detect full charge is to look for the peak voltage, this can be easily implemented using the an A/D input on the PIC.

JFK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: