CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Context saving with #int global

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fro_Guy

Context saving with #int global
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:25 pm     Reply with quote

I am working on my own intrupt handler for a PIC16F877, and it seems like i am having problems with the context saving. I can get the interupts to work fine if say for the serial, timers and ect. if i use the compiler to do it for me. Looking at the context saving when it goes into the intrupt it saves the @SCRATCH memory registers (shown in the symbol file) put there by the compiler. I am thinking it is the @SCRATCH registers that is causing flakey behavior in my ISR, and i was wondering if anyone know exactly what the compiler uses it for as well as what built in functions would use these registers. Also if it is at all possible to set where these @scratch registers are located in the ram.

Thanks for the help

Fro Guy
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:46 pm     Reply with quote

The scratch area, defaults to the bottom 4 to 5 locations of the useable RAM. This can be seen/set in device editor, memory, where the 'C scratch RAM' setting, says where it starts. On 16 chips, it'll normally be 0x20 (above the basic registers in the first bank), while on the 18 chips, it'll be at 0.
You can save these yourself, by using code like:
Code:

#byte       scratch0=0
#byte   scratch1=1
#byte   scratch2=2
#byte   scratch3=3

//and then use in the interrupt handler:
static int INT_scratch[10];
#asm
MOVFF   scratch0,INT_scratch+0
MOVFF   scratch1,INT_scratch+1
MOVFF   scratch2,INT_scratch+2
MOVFF   FSR0L,INT_scratch+3
MOVFF   FSR0H,INT_scratch+4
MOVFF   FSR1L,INT_scratch+5
MOVFF   FSR1H,INT_scratch+6
MOVFF      TBLPTRL,INT_scratch+7
MOVFF      TBLPTRH,INT_scratch+8
MOVFF      TBLPTRU,INT_scratch+9
#endasm

Various ones are used for different things. The return value from a function call, will use up to four locations, arithmetic, printf, long delays etc., all use one or more locations. Looking through the listing, is the only way to really be sure...
The save shown above, saved three scratch locations, the FSR registers, and the TBLPTR registers. The latter were needed for an array access, while the first scratch location was used in a SSP call, and the latter two locations were used for a return value.

Best Wishes
Fro_Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:38 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!!! Very Happy

Fro Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: