CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

TQFP programming
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:23 am     Reply with quote

Wait a sec...

If the load is exactly 3k3, then everything is fine. All the current is sourced from the programmer, and the vdd line sits at 3v3.

If the load is <3k3, the programmer will tend to pull vdd <3.3v, so the on board supply has to provide extra current into the programmer...?

If the load is >3k3, the programmer holds the vdd line > 3v3, and the on board supply, or other circuitry, may be damaged.

I'm getting myself very confused wrt the above, and I'm sure I shouldn't be!
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:33 am     Reply with quote

Don't think about resistances, think about currents. At 3K3, with a 3.3v supply, the board requires 1mA. If the effective resistance is lower than 3K3, the board requires more rhan 1mA, while if it is hgher, the board requires less than 1mA.
In state '1', the programmer delivers 1mA, so the supply turns off (it is regulated), and all the current comes from the programmer. This is an almost impossible situation to maintain.
In state '2' the board requires more than 1mA. The progammer does not 'pull down', but sources 1mA, reducing the amount the supply has to provide by this amount.
In state '3', the voltage will rise. However the current drawn by a PIC, will rise with increasing voltage, so the rise will not be enough to cause harm. This would potentially be a different story, if the source could provide a lot more current.

Best Wishes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:01 am     Reply with quote

I can see that that would keep the power consumed the same, but surely most electronic components dont' work that way - they can't vary their impedance. If you lower the voltage across them, then the current through them falls. They have a specified operating voltage, and won't work outside it. Lowering the voltage doesn't cause the current to increase, it just causes the device to shut down...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:24 am     Reply with quote

ah... a current equation sorts things out. If load is equal to 3k3, our source provides no current. Less, and it provides some. More, and it needs to sink current to maintain voltage, which it may or may not be able to do. If it can't, we have a dead converter and a supply line at high voltage.

Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: