CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Wake on CAN Problem.... doesn't ever wake.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iso9001

Wake on CAN Problem.... doesn't ever wake.
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:16 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,

Using a pic 18F4680 with ECAN I've gotten the pic to goto sleep when the can messages stop from my other node but haven't figured out whats wrong with my wake procedure, just know it never wakes up.

At the sleep routine
Code:

CAN_INT_WAKIF = 0;     //0xFA4.6

disable_interrupts(INT_TIMER1);
 enable_interrupts(INT_CANWAKE);
 enable_interrupts(GLOBAL);

sleep();

//Never get here

disable_interrupts(INT_CANWAKE);
 enable_interrupts(INT_TIMER1);// turn on timer1 again
 enable_interrupts(GLOBAL);
 set_timer1(0);

Wake feature and filter are enabled.
Code:

EBRGCON3 = 0x44;

And an empty wake_isr
Code:

#INT_CANWAKE
void canwake_isr() {
}

I've been over everything I can think of.... confused. Confused can anyone help ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:57 pm     Reply with quote

have you used setup_oscillator() to let the clock active during sleep?
iso9001

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:04 pm     Reply with quote

Never seen setup_osc()

Seems to me that it would wake without a clock since thats the default state when you goto sleep.

I'll go try it out,

I see what your thinking is that it wake on actual CAN activity and not just a change on the line. My goal is to cut my entire board down to 1mA and thats counting the LDO regulator I have... I hope thats not it since I think the clock waste a fair amount of power no ?

Wait, what is it SETUP_OSCILLATOR() is going to do ? I'm in 4xPLL w/ a 10Mhz clock, what should I be doing with this command and why is it going to keep the clock alive during a nap ?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:06 pm     Reply with quote

well.. i had a problem with a modbus lib.. it transmitted a command and put the pic to sleep waiting for the answer... the serial interrupt should awake the pic... but it didnīt worked, because the startup time of the cristal was so long that it misses the first byte. So i had to use
setup_oscillator(OSC_IDLE_MODE)... hereīs the code to give you an idea:

Code:

GetMessage = 0;
      DispatchMessage();
      n_retry++;
      setup_mod_timeout();
      while(1)
      {
         setup_oscillator(OSC_IDLE_MODE);
         sleep();
         if(GetMessage == 1) break;
         if(timed_out == 1)
         {
            if (n_retry < retries) break; else return 16;
         }

}

Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:59 am     Reply with quote

A full 'sleep', can only wake up, from a 'static' peripheral trigger (external interrupt, WDT, or reset). When the chip is asleep like this, all peripherals that need a clock, are also stopped, and cannot wake the chip.
Then you have the 'idle' modes. In these, there is still a clock source, so the peripherals keep running, and can wake the chip. This is what is being selected using the setup_oscillator configuration. The 'sleep' following this, stops the core processor, but leaves the master clock running. It was not the startup time of the oscillator that mattered here, but the fact that an oscillator was still running.
Seperately, there is the issue of oscillator startup time. On most of these chips, you can also select to switch the oscillator to a low speed (and low power therefore) oscillator. If the 'main' oscillator is a normal crystal oscillator, then starting it, and getting it stable, will take significant time. You could though use this configuration, with a serial message, where the first 'wake' byte, was something like 0x00, followed by a pause, and treated as garbage. The chip will 'see' the falling edge for the start bit, and clocking at the wrong rate, latch the byte (and probably some of the subsequent 'idle high' time on the incoming line). The system wakes, and once the master oscillator is stable, can switch back to the full speed oscillator, throw away the garbage first character, and then accept the rest of the message.
So, you cannot put a device to 'sleep', and wake it with a clocked peripheral (like the serial, or CanBus module), but you can put the processor into one of the 'idle' states, with the one using the full speed 'master' oscillator, giving the least power saving, but the fastest 'wakeup'.

Best Wishes
iso9001

Ohhhh I get it.
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:44 am     Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

It would have been awhile before I found the answer to that!

The first can message is not of dire importance to me anyway so I'm not concerned with losing it. So you recommend I do somhing like this ?

Code:

setup_oscillator(OSC_IDLE_MODE);
sleep();

setup_oscillator(OSC_PLL_ON);              //switch back to 4x10Mhz mode
delay_ms(1);

//go on about my work

I'll try it out in the meantime. I think my clock has integrated 18pF caps, whole system runs at 5V, is there a rough estimation on how much power the 10Mhz clock will consume ?

I should probably change one of my transceivers over to one with integrated wake and regulator control anyway. Then I could kill off the always-on LDO and then be able to put the pic into full sleep.

Why doesn't CCS have a idle() command like they have one for sleep()? Its in my datasheet that this module can idle. Hmmm...
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:59 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
you cannot put a device to 'sleep', and wake it with a clocked peripheral

The CAN Module reference manual says it can be done. They have
a timing diagram on page 47 showing wake-up from sleep:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/39522.pdf

On page 4, they have a highlighted note which says the CAN module
must be put into Disable Mode before the PIC is put into Sleep mode.
In the CCS driver, this would be done by calling:
Code:
can_set_mode(CAN_OP_DISABLE);
iso9001

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

I'll try throwing it into disabled. I thought I read that it said "its recommened to put the module into disabled" to save more power.

I'll give both a try. Its just that its raining and my laptop is in the car all the way at the end of the drive way.... with my umbrella.

Anyone have a schematic for an ultra-ionizing rain deflector or somthing ?

I just read that link PCM posted. Its a little different then the datasheet for my part but I'll try it and see what happens
iso9001

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:28 pm     Reply with quote

Interestingly Enough.... It works now, but only sort of.

It took a bit to figure out what the heck was going on because when I had the debugger active and watched the monitor it worked fine. As soon as I made a nondebug version it stopped waking up.

I narrowed it down to the #Use RS232 statement. When in debug mode I had it on, and for the normal flash I commented it out.

So.... I figure that when in debug mode the compiler does not stop the clock when sleep() is called.

To workaround I used the setup_osc command.

Which is odd b/c I agree w/ PCM that the datasheet say I can shut the clock down. Problem is that when I do it stops waking up.

Any ideas here ?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:06 pm     Reply with quote

Yes. The same is true of the latter EUARTs, but with the caveats about the oscillator wake up time, and possible garbage for the first character. On the UART, the 'edge' of the start bit is treated as if it was an interrupt,and handled statically to wake the chip. The 'core' CAN module itself can't wake you (the protocol engine, and shift registers), but there is a similar static interrupt triggered on the edge of an incoming message, which can be used to wake the system. If you actually want to receive the message that wakes you, then the oscillator has to be running.

Best Wishes
iso9001

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:50 pm     Reply with quote

So..... wait a sec.

Whats my problem here ? Is there a way to configure the INT_CANWAKE as an edge interupt (I can't tie my bus line to the B0 or B1 pins) ?

I don't understand, the datasheet shows no osc running but mine never wakes up if I don't put the chip in idle mode.... It would be best for me to turn the osc off, from a power savings standpoint.

The only thing I can think of is that datasheet posted on the CAN module doesn't say ECAN on it. Maybe they took the wake-on-can-without-osc mode out ????
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:32 am     Reply with quote

Certainly on the USART, only the 'EUSART' modules can do this. I'd expect the same to be true of the CAN modules.....
If you turn off the other peripherals youself (stop the ADC, stop the UART etc.), and put the chip into 'idle' mode, the total consumption will be fairly low (but not the uA level available from sleep). I suspect this will be as good as you can get if you want to re-awaken from a CAN module.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: