CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Data EEPROM won't survive a software reset

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfournier

Data EEPROM won't survive a software reset
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:04 pm     Reply with quote

18f8622, pcwh 3.249

I have a situation where at one particular pair of data EEPROM addresses a write followed by a read works fine.

At one time cycling power was fine as well. I suddenly noticed it wasn't correct anymore. As an experiment I set it up to do a software reset ( reset_cpu() ) and noticed that the EEPROM did not even survive that.

I am assuming that by sheer bad luck that these 2 sequential addresses went bad. By using the next pair of available addresses everything seems to work properly.

I just find it odd that 2 adjacent addresses into which I put a 16 bit value should go bad. Am I being paranoid?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:24 pm     Reply with quote

Can you post a small test program that demonstrates the problem ?
If so, we can probably find the problem. The program should be
very short, but complete, and should be able to be pasted into MPLAB
and compiled with no errors.
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Data EEPROM won't survive a software reset
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

pfournier wrote:
I am assuming that by sheer bad luck that these 2 sequential addresses went bad. By using the next pair of available addresses everything seems to work properly.

Have you used your current chip for a long time? How many writes have you done to your 2 bad bytes? Each EEPROM byte can withstand only a limited number of writes on the order of 10-100 thousand. If you have been writing a lot to the same location of the EEPROM you could have burned a hole in it.
pfournier

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:00 pm     Reply with quote

I will post a simplified program soon. The Data EEPROM is supposed to be good for 1,000,000 erase/write cycles (according to the data sheet).
I'm sure I'm not there yet.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:46 pm     Reply with quote

It wouldn't take long to kill it with a simple code goof where you write to the eeprom in a loop.
sjbaxter

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:27 am     Reply with quote

Sounds like a 'burnt' EEPROM to me.

One thing to always implement with EEPROMs, especially when storing configuration info/data is to do a read first, compare this with the new value and only if the value has changed, do the write back to the EEPROM. or even create your own wrapper function to do this, i.e

Code:
void MyWrite_EEPROM(int16 addr, int8 value)
{
    int8 current;

// write to internal EEPROM
    current = read_EEPROM(addr);
    if (current != value)
    {
        write_EEPROM(addr, value);
    }
}

... that way you only do a write if you have to !

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:25 am     Reply with quote

pfournier wrote:
I will post a simplified program soon. The Data EEPROM is supposed to be good for 1,000,000 erase/write cycles (according to the data sheet).
I'm sure I'm not there yet.

First of all, this figure, is 'for guidance only'. Not tested, or certified in any way... The only 'warranted' figure, is the _minimum_ life (100K cycles), and even this has qute a few caveats. There were several batches of older chips, that showed a much higher than specified failure rate. the 'life', also assumes a very stable power supply (the EEPROM life will noticeably degrade in some systems, if the rail varies during the write cycle...).
Now with the '100K' figure, it is suprising how quickly this can be used, if you are not careful in using the feature. For instance, an accidental loop that writes repeatedly, can use the life up in a very short time, but (worse), perfectly 'logical' things, like perhaps 'logging' a reading every second, will use the life up, in just over a day!. hence in such situations,it is 'wise' to consider alternatives, like only writing the data during a power down, using FRAM to hold fast changing values, or only actually 'logging' the data at a much longer interval.
Your symptoms, are those of a EEPROM cell that has aged.

Best Wishes
pfournier

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:42 am     Reply with quote

I had a sudden realization. I DID have the write to this address in my main at one time. I got rid of it because I couldn't afford the interrupt loss it caused. In all that time I was writing through every pass of my Main loop. Assuming the loop ran no slower than 100mS, (I'm sure it ran much faster) that's 27 hrs for the 1e6 writes, I probably blew through this baby in one week and didn't even notice! What a DUH!!! Glad it happened here and not in the field.

Thank's for the help guys. I've got to think about this some more to avoid future burnout and find someone to administer a dope slap.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

avoiding the EEPROM burnout
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:53 pm     Reply with quote

pfournier wrote:
I've got to think about this some more to avoid future burnout.

There is a couple of ways of :
- Reduce the frequency of writing to the EEPROM.
- Read the EEPROM first and write only if the value had changed (as have been mentioned above).
- If the above techniques can't be applied, you could allocate some reserve location(s) in the EEPROM and keep track of the number of writes. After 1e6 writes switch to a different EEPROM location. Solid state hard drives eploy this technique.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:36 am     Reply with quote

Actually what I ended up doing was rotating through "blocks" of EEPROM everytime I power up. I also added a "lockout byte" to the block that only ever gets written when I discover corrupted data in the block, so I never use that one again. I employ a checksum that I check on powerup to detect corruption, and in a low write frequency area I keep stuff that doesn't change often.

I almost went with the "write for 1e6 times then move on" but I decided that 1e6 was the upper limit, 1e5 was the spec. And I really didn't want to run to the point of risking my data if I could help it. By spreading out deliberatly I felt I had better control. By the time this baby goes dead, I'll be dead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: