CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Digital to Analog Converter?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arrow

Digital to Analog Converter?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:17 am     Reply with quote

Hi

I would like to make a digital (10 bit) to analog (0-10V) converter. Can someone please point me in the right direction?
Are there standard chips for this?

Thank you in advance.
a.
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:10 am     Reply with quote

Probably, the simplies solution to your problem is a voltage divider made of two 2k ressitors (assuming your Vcc=5V). What's generating the 10V analog output in your case?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:01 am     Reply with quote

Er. He is.....
I'd suggest looking at the MAX531. This can give -5v to +5v output, and is fairly easy to drive. Add an op-amp to give 0 to 10v. Alternatively run the ADC from a single 5v rail, and double the voltage in the op-amp stage.
This is generally cheaper, than any of the DAC's supporting this output range, directly...

Best Wishes
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:52 am     Reply with quote

kender wrote:
Probably, the simplies solution to your problem is a voltage divider made of two 2k ressitors (assuming your Vcc=5V). What's generating the 10V analog output in your case?

Kender, you have confused A/D with D/A... It's 3am - go to freakin' bed.
kender

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:57 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
I'd suggest looking at the MAX531. This can give -5v to +5v output, and is fairly easy to drive. Add an op-amp to give 0 to 10v. Alternatively run the ADC from a single 5v rail, and double the voltage in the op-amp stage.

I'll add that if your system has only positive supply rails, you should use rail-to-rail opamp such as LMC6462, otherwise your output will not be able to go below 0.7V or so.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:41 am     Reply with quote

I know the feeling about going to bed at times...
On the 'op amp', you also need to be very careful in the +ve rail situation, that not only is the output 'rail to rail', but that the input common mode range includes the 0v rail. A lot of op-amps don't.

Best Wishes
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:06 am     Reply with quote

Arrow,
Tell us what you power supplies are. That will have a big effect on the circuit to use. Ideally you should have +/- 15V or +/- 12V. If not, is there at least an RS232 drive chip we can steal a little negative voltage from? Working with no negative supply is hardest, but still possible.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: