CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

problem with ADC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plum33

problem with ADC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:46 am     Reply with quote

I have problem with this code:
Code:
#include "C:\Documents and Settings\t40\My Documents\ccs projekty\ammeter\ammeter18d.h"

long int adval;

#int_AD
AD_isr()
{
OUTPUT_HIGH(PIN_B5);
}

void main()
{

setup_adc_ports(AN0|VSS_VDD);
   setup_adc(ADC_CLOCK_INTERNAL|ADC_TAD_MUL_0);
   setup_psp(PSP_DISABLED);
   setup_spi(FALSE);
   setup_wdt(WDT_OFF);
   setup_timer_0(RTCC_INTERNAL);
   setup_timer_1(T1_DISABLED);
   setup_timer_2(T2_DISABLED,0,1);
   setup_timer_3(T3_DISABLED|T3_DIV_BY_1);
   setup_comparator(NC_NC_NC_NC);
   setup_vref(FALSE);
   enable_interrupts(INT_AD);
   enable_interrupts(GLOBAL);
   setup_low_volt_detect(FALSE);
   setup_oscillator(OSC_8MHZ|OSC_TIMER1|OSC_31250|OSC_PLL_ON);
   set_tris_b(0b00000000);

while (1)
   {
   set_adc_channel(0);
   OUTPUT_HIGH(PIN_B7);
   OUTPUT_LOW(PIN_B6);
   delay_ms(500);
   adval=Read_ADC();
   OUTPUT_HIGH(PIN_B6);
   OUTPUT_LOW(PIN_B7);
   delay_ms(500);
   }

}

the problem is that interrupt don't work and I doubt does adc conversion works at all.(i'm programming 18F4520 )
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:35 am     Reply with quote

You are misunderstanding how the internal functions work, and trying to 'misuse' them...
Now first of all, there is little advantage at all, in using the ADC interrupt ability. An interrupt, takes a long time to service (typically requiring perhaps 20 to 30 instruction times to save the registers before calling the 'handler' routine, and then a similar number to restore the registers on return). The ADC, depending on the clock rate chosen, and the chip version involved, typically involves at worst about 10uSec to perform a conversion, so in most cases, it takes _longer_ to call an interrupt handler, than to sit and 'poll' the ADC. The only normal reason to use the ADC interrupt handler,is if the ADC is being triggered by a CTC event (using the special function mode of the CTC).
The internal 'read_adc' function, has a number of different operating modes, according to a 'flag' value passed to it. The _default_ mode (with no value passed), will trigger the ADC, and sit polling the ADIF bit, till the conversion completes. Now, if you enable an ADC interrupt handler, with the function operating in this mode, it will _hang_. The problem is, that when ADIF gets set, the interrupt handler is called, which automatically clears the interrupt flag. The routine then never sees the interrupt going true, and will then sit for ever, waiting for it to happen.
The simplest way to use the ADC, is to get rid of the interrupt handler, and disable the interrupt. The code will then work.
If you _must_ use the handler, then you need to trigger the ADC in a different way. Use 'read_adc(ADC_START_ONLY)'. This will trigger the ADC, and do nothing else. When the conversion is complete, the interrupt handler will be called, and in this, you should then read the ADC, with 'read_adc(ADC_READ_ONLY)'. However this will take many uSec longer to do, than using the default behaviour. Your main code will also need to wait for the handler to be called and the value returned, adding more complexity.

Best Wishes
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Re: problem with ADC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:46 am     Reply with quote

plum33 wrote:
the problem is that interrupt don't work...

Ttelman has beat me by some 30 seconds with the answer to this question. Smile

plum33 wrote:
and I doubt does adc conversion works at all.(i'm programming 18F4520 )

If your hardware is hooked up correctly, your code should do the A/D conversion just fine.

Code:

delay_ms(500);
adval=Read_ADC();
printf("%lu \n\r", adval);  // add this to make sure your A/D conversion actually happens
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: