CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

MMC/SD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian

MMC/SD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:49 pm     Reply with quote

Will the MMC drivers and schematic work for SD, or is a different setup?
thanks.
ckielstra

Re: MMC/SD
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:41 am     Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Will the MMC drivers and schematic work for SD, or is a different setup?
thanks.
Which drivers? What schematic?
Please give a link and / or the name of the supplier.
Brian

mmc/sd
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:51 am     Reply with quote

like this one
http://www.microchipc.com/sourcecode/#mmc

i dont care about formatting just want to be able to put data in address (x) similar to the eeprom setup. just need alot more space than eeprom.

http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/OEM/Manuals/SD_Physical_specsv101.pdf

according to this it appears it can. but someone may of done it and can let me know if it worked or anything that needs to be fiddled with to make it work..

and of course i will use 18f series with enough ram.

thanks again.
ckielstra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:17 am     Reply with quote

Search this forum and you will find some more MMC drivers. For example there is at least one MMC driver in the Code section of the forum and I remember a thread where there was a reference to a commercial library that supports several types of memory cards including SD cards.

Physically the SD cards differ from MMC cards in that they are a little bit thicker and have a few more I/O pins. Buy a connector that accepts SD and it will (almost) always accept MMC too, the other way around doesn't work. Check the SD card specifications for how to connect all pins, this is backwards compatible to MMC.

When accessing the cards in SPI mode the SD and MMC cards are quiet similar, I haven't checked out all the details but I think the largest difference is in the start-up sequence.

For storing data the MMC cards have a small advantage over SD cards because they are a bit cheaper and have more usable memory space (no licence costs and memory waste for the 'secure' features).
Another reason why you will find more MMC implementations is that the MMC early specifications used to be available at no costs and can still be found on the internet. For the SD card specifications you had to become a member of the SD group and pay a lot of money. Things have changed a bit the last couple of years, MMC and SD specifications have to be paid for now.

Last edited by ckielstra on Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
asmallri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:18 am     Reply with quote

The SD card has additional inputs that are used to support the native mode interface. These are not required for SPI mode however these additional pins must be pulled high (have pullup resistors fitted). Having said that, I used the standard MMC cct (as per your link) when I was developing my SD interface and left the unused inputs floating - this was because I was using an MMC connector on the prototype which did not include the additional pins.

SD cards can be read with MMC code (I have tested about 10 different brands of SD card without problem) but should ideally have a trivial change for the initialization. I found it easy to dermine which type of card (MMC or SD) was installed by issuing a SD specific command, if it returned without error it was an SD card, otherwise it was an MMC card.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
Brian

mmc/sd
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:26 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew that's what i wanted to know before i commited to my order and i have sd card on hand and didnt want to hunt for a mmc one. thnaks again.
Brian

mmc/sd
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:29 am     Reply with quote

oops thanks ckielstra for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: