CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

IGBT Gate dv/dt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eugeneo

IGBT Gate dv/dt
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:53 pm     Reply with quote

A little off topic but there seems to be an abundance of bright people here so I just thought someone could give me some hints.

I have a charge system that charges 4 x 350v 22uf caps and then discharges them to 1kv aircraft igniter tip (This app is not for an aircraft but it's designed to work under water).

Operation:
Once the voltage is at 1kv, I have a Pic triggering a optoisolator. The optical isolator has a max rise and fall time of 20 us (detector side).

That output is triggering the gate of a completely isolated IGBT at 15 volts. The IGBT rise is 60 ns and fall of 230 ns.

Problem:
The system functions the way it is supposed to. Except once in a while during my tests, the IGBT will completely latch up, and must be replaced.

I've checked the safe operating zone for the IGBT and everything is in check. The temperature of the IGBT is only warm after several minutes of operation. The IGBT is good for 70 A continuous at 1200V, 230A pulsed, short circuit of 10us.

My thoughts:
Is it possible that my optoisolator is triggering too slow and causing a high inrush of current when the collector/emitter has not completely reached a turn-on state, causing excesive power dissapation on the IGBT?

The igniter tip kind of acts like a metal oxide varister and triac at the same time. when the voltage applied to the tip is 1000volts, it will discharge the caps between 5 to 10 us. If the voltage is lower than 400, the tip discharges the caps within 3 seconds.

Any and I mean any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Re: IGBT Gate dv/dt
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:11 am     Reply with quote

Eugeneo wrote:
This app is not for an aircraft but it's designed to work under water.

Do you know that you can fish with a device like this? A spark underwater gives shockwave simiar to the dynamite. Of course, this fishing method ellegal. Another problem is that somehow you have to protect your own boat from the shockwave, but of course, you can fish from the peer.
Eugeneo

Re: IGBT Gate dv/dt
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:25 am     Reply with quote

kender wrote:
Eugeneo wrote:
This app is not for an aircraft but it's designed to work under water.

Do you know that you can fish with a device like this? A spark underwater gives shockwave simiar to the dynamite. Of course, this fishing method ellegal. Another problem is that somehow you have to protect your own boat from the shockwave, but of course, you can fish from the peer.

Kender,

I never knew that but, I tested it by putting it in a glass of water and it slowly destroyed the glass. It creates shatter marks all over it. It not a very loud sound but a very erie percing sound. Kind of scary actually. And I seriously thought about getting some more life insurance. lol
libor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:41 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it possible that my optoisolator is triggering too slow..

Way too slow. the problem is quite possible caused by this. You should use a MOSFET/IGBT gate driver IC after the optoisolator like these International Rectifier Gate Drivers , (there are many similar products, google for IGBT gate drivers. These drivers can make up to 50V/ns dV/dt switching time on the gate.
The IGBT's (MOSFET's) gates have quite a significant capacitance, only these drivers can supply the momentarily high amps (several amps indeed) needed to charge them quickly enough.
Brian S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:51 am     Reply with quote

I just went through the design loop for a 500V 1A high-speed high-side FET switch....similar application. I agree that using an Opto Isolator won't work. Gate drive voltage and current are critical. But using a Gate Driver chip directly leaves you with the problem of supplying power to the driver chip, as it must be isolated.

My solution (untested as yet!) is to power the Gate Driver from a 12-15V supply referenced to the PIC's power/Gnd, and drive the IGBT/FET with a gate drive transformer. Check out the Triad GDE25-1 (Digikey) or similar. A driver in the TC4426 series may work, but larger drivers are available.
I needed PWM of the FET, which presented another problem. IR has a valuable App Note (AN 950) on gate drive circuits for PWM to avoid the issue of gate drive sag at low duty cycles due to insufficient inductance in these high frequency transformers. Cost is low, and it assures stable drive levels under any (reasonable) conditions.

As to the crazing of your glass container: you might be able to find a heavy-wall polycarbonate beaker or tub. The polycabonate is a good insulator and is mechanically very tough - much more shatter resistant than glass. Try not to drill or cut it; machining tends to create stresses that can lead to later cracking near the cut.

Good luck!
Eugeneo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:11 pm     Reply with quote

libor wrote:

You should use a MOSFET/IGBT gate driver IC after the optoisolator.

I am looking into the driver now. Does a gate driver have low threshold voltage effetivly changing the dv/dt output of the optoisolator? And if so then what about the turn off time? does the output of the opiso have to return to the low threshold before it turns off? I may not be able to turn it off in time.

The secondary side is completely isolated so I am limited to a small current that is provided by zener/cap/resistor. Will the gate driver still function correctly in this scenario?

Do you think I could use a optoisolator that has a rise and fall time of few hundred ns?

Thankis for the help.

Last edited by Eugeneo on Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eugeneo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

Brian S wrote:

My solution (untested as yet!) is to power the Gate Driver from a 12-15V supply referenced to the PIC's power/Gnd, and drive the IGBT/FET with a gate drive transformer. Check out the Triad GDE25-1 (Digikey) or similar. A driver in the TC4426 series may work, but larger drivers are available.

This was one of my initial thoughts, but I couldn't get over a few problems.

How do you control the on time.
How do you control the inductive surge. With a mov or a zener(high speed)?
Is the transformer really going to create a faster dv/dt.

Brian S wrote:

As to the crazing of your glass container: you might be able to find a heavy-wall polycarbonate beaker or tub. The polycabonate is a good insulator and is mechanically very tough - much more shatter resistant than glass. Try not to drill or cut it; machining tends to create stresses that can lead to later cracking near the cut.

I see you may have done some testing on this yourself

Thanks for the help.
Brian S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:14 pm     Reply with quote

Eugeneo,

For normal PWM frequencies of <20KHz, the PWM module of the PIC works well; You can specify PWM duty cycle directly. Or the PIC can output a single pulse by using the "delay" function. My application is rather specialized, running at 20-50MHz; I'm using a dual DDS chip with some gating to run at the higher speeds. Though I'm not using a driver chip at these speeds, I have used the drivers at 20KHz in the past with good results.

The transformers designed for this service are inherently wideband. The Rise time is therefore a function of the gate driver's output characteristics. Compared to your Opto drive, you'll be going from >5mS(?) gate switching to <50nS switching.

These transformers have quite low leakage inductance, so there doesn't seem to be a problem with inductive effects; a small signal diode could be used at it's primary to clamp any return spikes toward the driver.

The inductive surge in my app is taken care of by the intrinsic diode of the FET. If you rely on that, be sure to pick a device that's Avalanche Rated, and pay attention to peak pulse current.

Many IGBT's have a similar structure composed of the IGBT and a HEXFRED in the same package. Or you can use an external Power Schottky to help out. Either way, be sure to run the numbers for dissipation; the diode will produce significant heat, often more than a low Ron FET (but probably less than an IGBT).

Don't forget to wear your safety glasses!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: