CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

USB O.T. question...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paolino

USB O.T. question...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:55 am     Reply with quote

Dear all,
I can not find a thread which was talking about a useful book related to how to make first steps with USB. If someone of you has the title(s), can you suggest me it, please.
Thank you very much.

Paolo.
newguy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:34 am     Reply with quote

I bought "USB Complete" by Jan Axelson. It's probably the most popular and most thorough book on the subject.

That aside, my only complaint about the book is that it's hugely repetitive. The book is written in atrocious fashion (I find, anyway). For example, the author will explain something in minute detail. Then explain the next, closely related, topic in the same excruciating detail, even though the two topics are nearly identical. The size of the book could have easily (very, very easily) been reduced by a factor of at least 2 if the author would have used the following approach instead: "Topic B is essentially the same as A, except for this ........"
treitmey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:44 am     Reply with quote

But, if used as a reference... You can look up topic B and know that when you read it, that you know it all.

Instead of look up B that references A that references 1.2 that references Genesis 1:1

Both ways have merit.

If I'm selling a book, I want it thick.. So the buyer thinks he got a deal.
newguy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:36 am     Reply with quote

treitmey wrote:
But, if used as a reference... You can look up topic B and know that when you read it, that you know it all.

Instead of look up B that references A that references 1.2 that references Genesis 1:1

Both ways have merit.

If I'm selling a book, I want it thick.. So the buyer thinks he got a deal.

I see your point, and I agree with you. However, this book was painful to read. I think it could have been rearranged so that common elements could be presented and then how the topics differed could be covered in one paragraph after that.

Thick books.....well let's just say that I don't want to buy a book just because it's thick. The whole time I was reading this one, I kept thinking that it must have been very easy to write since all she had to do was write one section then keep cutting & pasting it.

.....I must be obsessed with efficiency. Very Happy
treitmey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:47 am     Reply with quote

That's a good obsession! Very Happy
Paolino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:04 am     Reply with quote

Thank you all for your answers. I think I will buy that book. I have to start, so if I have "a lot" of examples to look at, I guess it could be good. I will let you know, after have read the book.

Thank you again!

Paolo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: