CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PIC and Static RAM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chicky

PIC and Static RAM
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:39 pm     Reply with quote

Hello...

Anyone here have any experience using/programming pic with static RAM ic? I need a direction on where to start i.e. how to read/access data stored on the static RAM...

TQ! Very Happy
libor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:57 am     Reply with quote

Are you looking at random or sequential access? You can use the PIC's SPI port for sequential access.
Using parallel RAMs is also possible, but you'll have to use a lot of I/O ports. If you don't do any bus multiplexing, a 512K SRAM will cost you about 29 I/O pins. If you add some 8 bit latches, you can go down to about 15 I/O pins, although the use of multiplexed I/O will reduce read speeds to about what you'd get with a serial device.
Chicky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:21 pm     Reply with quote

hmmm... i think i'm looking at parallel access..
because i need a very fast processing time to send the data from RAM to the PC..
u see in the system; PIC will act like a middle person between the RAM and host (pc/PDA)... my PIC will need to read the data and send to PC through USB so that the pc can plot graphs in real time...
is there any suggestion on which type of Static RAM i can use? or similar project that i can refer to?
rwyoung

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:11 pm     Reply with quote

Look at the 18F family to see if the varients with built in USB support can also access external RAM. Several of the 18F's have support for external address and data busses.

www.microchip.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:48 am     Reply with quote

Look at these two approaches, they all use IO port multiplexing with external latches to reduce the port count:
PIC - SRAM Extension with 32/64k SRAM
PIC - 256Kbyte SIMM RAM module interface
You can make it without the latches, just use all the required number of ports, this would be the simplest method in software.
What is your application? Perhaps you can make use of the many non-volatile NVRAM solutions (built-in lithium cell backed up SRAM in one DIP module] and many others: Dallas-Maxim memory products
I would also seriously consider interfacing to the standard Compact Flash memory cards or to the SD memory cards, so your can replace the memory module and read/write it with the PC also. Many such interface descriptions exist on the internet. (some as commercial products also)
Chicky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:33 pm     Reply with quote

Thx libor... i'll look up the options u gave...

FYI the actual system i'm working in consist of an adc and fpga; fpga will read the adc and write the results to RAM... my part is to use pic to read data on the ram and send it to usb port...
asmallri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:45 pm     Reply with quote

What is the sampling rate of the ADC? The application you have described so far sounds like a FRAM (SPI interface) will do this for you with significantly lower I/O requirement.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
Chicky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:51 pm     Reply with quote

The ADC sampling rate is not finalized yet... But it should be around 20 - 40 Mhz to avoid data loss
rwyoung

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:54 am     Reply with quote

Chicky wrote:
The ADC sampling rate is not finalized yet... But it should be around 20 - 40 Mhz to avoid data loss

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but there are a few things you REALLY need to consider (in no particular order, just dribbling out of my head) Shocked :

20MSPS => 50ns/sample

Are you expecting to be able to stream data continuously from your ADC/FPGA into RAM and then out through a PIC & USB port to your USB host?

At first blush I don't think a PIC is going to be capable of this if new data arrives every 50ns, let alone 25ns for 40MSPS. How are you going to arbitrate access to the RAM between the PIC and FPGA? Single-port RAM with arbitration or building dual-port RAM or FIFO? By the way, if your FPGA is big enough and/or the RAM small enough, the RAM (single- or dual-port or FIFO) can be inside the FPGA.

But, if you are going to capture a fixed amount of data into the RAM and then after the full sweep is complete, stream it back to the USB host, then you might be OK.

However in a post above you mentioned plotting data in real time. I dont' think you will be able to accomplish "real time".

And have you figured out how to get the USB side working at a rate to support a 20MSPS data stream? You will need to use USB 2.0 High-Speed. Full-Speed (and definately not Low-Speed) won't cut it at that rate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: