CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PWM 18F452 question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
[terminate]

PWM 18F452 question
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:11 pm     Reply with quote

I have the following code right here:

Code:

#include <18F452.h>
#fuses XT,NOWDT,NOPROTECT,NOLVP
#use delay(clock=4000000)
#use fast_io(b)
#use fast_io(c)

void main(void)
{
  INT VALUE;
  output_high(PIN_A0);
  SET_TRIS_B(0b11111101); // set the b ports for input
  set_tris_c(0b11111011);
  SETUP_CCP1(CCP_PWM); // PUT THE CCP1 PORT INTO PWM MODE
  SETUP_TIMER_2(T2_DIV_BY_1,255,1);
  VALUE = 0;
  delay_ms(2000); // two second initialization
  WHILE (TRUE)
  {
    SET_PWM1_DUTY(VALUE);
    output_high(PIN_B1);
    delay_ms(100);
    output_low(PIN_B1);
    delay_ms(100);
    value--;
    if (input(PIN_B0)==1)
      {
        VALUE = 0;
      }

}
}

I set the value of the duty cycle to zero, but the motor still turns, ie the CCP1 port is still outputting. Is there a reason why?
[terminate]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:28 pm     Reply with quote

well, i think i've figured it out. I have to set the pwm duty to zero before initializing the PWM mode using setup_ccp
[terminate]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:52 pm     Reply with quote

Just one more question.

I have this loop here:

Code:

SETUP_CCP1(CCP_PWM); // PUT THE CCP1 PORT INTO PWM MODE
  SETUP_TIMER_2(T2_DIV_BY_1,127,1);
  delay_ms(3000); // three second initialization
  WHILE (TRUE)
  {
    set_pwm1_duty(120);

}
}

I expect it to turn the motor continuously, however, it doesn't. It turns for a random amount of time and then turns off, and then repeats.

I'm using 3.203

Thanks! Much appreciated!
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:22 am     Reply with quote

Why would you expect it to be continuous?. It should be on for 120/127th of the time.
However the big problem is that you are continuously writing to the registers, while the PWM runs. The value only gets transferred at the end of the PWM cycle, but what happens if the data transfer is 'half done' at this point?. When updating a PWM, I always synchronise to the PWM itself to do this. So:
Code:

#bit TMR2IF=0xF9E.1

TMR2IF=0;
while (TRUE) {
   while (TMR2IF==0) ;
   TMR2IF==0;
   set_pwm1_duty(120);
}

This waits for the PWM cycle to occur (by looking for the interrupt flag that is set at the end of the timer2 count), and then writes the new value. I have found this to be 100% reliable, even when updating PWM values at a very high rate.

Best Wishes
does'nt_wish_to_disclose

HOW ??
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:35 am     Reply with quote

I was just wondering how Mr. RJ can answer all the questions that are being asked on this forum. I am following almost all of RJ's posts for quiet some time(I'm a registered user-Smile. Looks like he has a lot of experience in all topics. My salute to the GURU....
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:03 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the 'vote of confidence'. There are several other people here, who do 'sterling service', as well though. PCM Programmer, Neutone, and Humberto in particular come to mind.
In common with anybody, I can make some real 'errors' at times, and you can learn a lot from these (and sometimes some really 'beautiful' algorithms and techniques get posted, which can be useful to everyone).
I have used PICs for a _long_ time. When MicroChip first launched their 'site', I actually had to email them and point out that the 'launch date' for one of their earliest chips, had to be wrong, since I had a product 'on the market', using it, a year before the date they claimed...
I use this site, as a way of avoiding going into 'brain freeze', when working on stuff here. Changing, and looking at another problem, even if it is one that is basic, helps to stop me becoming fixated on what I am doing...

Best Wishes
[terminate]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:01 am     Reply with quote

thank you very much! your help is very much appreciated!
[terminate]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:26 am     Reply with quote

I changed that little bit and it still does the same thing, but then i hooked an LED onto that pin and it's constantly on, so the problem (i think) is the transistor im using to switch the motor on and off has too high of a gate voltage so the PWM doesn't work, or the frequency of the switching is too low? Thanks for your help!
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:34 pm     Reply with quote

Er. If the 'gate voltage' required is too high, for a normal layout, the FET should not switch on. How have you got this wired?.
To drive from a processor directly, a 'logic level' N channel MOSFET, should be no problem. Your frequency, should be just under 4KHz, with the code as given. This will buzz annoyingly, but should work.

Best Wishes
[terminate]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:50 pm     Reply with quote

I'm using a TIP31 NPN transistor
I'll try a mosfet
[terminate]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:01 pm     Reply with quote

I hope this is not asking too much, but how would you implement an interrupt to your above code?

Thank you so mucH!!!
asmallri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:30 pm     Reply with quote

[terminate] wrote:
I'm using a TIP31 NPN transistor
I'll try a mosfet

Hmmm. Sounds like a possible problem with your implementation. Can you post your schematic.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:50 am     Reply with quote

It depends what you want the interrupt to do?.....

On the driver, a TIP31, should be fine, with the following 'caveats'. PIC output pin, to the base (no 'gate' on a transistor...), via a 270R resistor (limits the current flow to about 15mA - remember that a conventional transistor isa _current controlled_ device, not a 'voltage controlled' device). Then from the base to ground, perhaps a 10K resistor (this ensures the transistor is 'off', when the PIC wakes up, and the pin is an input etc.). Emitter to gnd, collector to the motor. Put a fast recovery diode, reverse biased across the motor. This latter is essential, if you are not going to blow up the transistor when the drive switches off. When you release the drive from the motor, the energy in the magnetic field, has to go somewhere, and the voltage on the coil, will rise, till it finds a path to go through. Without a trap diode like this, the voltage will rise to the point where it destroys the transistor...

Best Wishes
[terminate]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:57 am     Reply with quote

hey! thanks for the tips. I'll try them out.

My goal for the interrupt is to satisfy this:

When the motor is running, a sensor senses a pylon, and then the sensor interrupt will switch the motor is only one side (differential format) to turn away from a pylon.

I tried your caveats and they work great. The motor still stops at random times (maybe due to the pwm value being 120 instead of the full 128), but it turns "more" continuously now. I'm going to have to get a diode first

I've tried setting it up with 256 bits of PWM resolution with the full set_pwm1_duty(256); but the motor still runs inconsistently. Any ideas? I have not yet to include the diode, perhaps that is the problem. I'll try getting one today

Thanks so much!
[terminate]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:33 pm     Reply with quote

Code:

#bit TMR2IF=0xF9E.1

TMR2IF=0;
while (TRUE) {
   while (TMR2IF==0) ;
   TMR2IF==0;
   set_pwm1_duty(120);
}

Just wondering, should that be TMR2IF=0; in the second tmr2if statement?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: