CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PICs with two USARTs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
edhaslam

PICs with two USARTs?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:34 am     Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there are any smaller PICs other than the PIC18F6722 and the PIC18F8722 that have two hardware USARTs?

I'm going to be parsing data from a GPS module and a Honeywell HMR3300 (digital compass module) at 9600 baud, so I'm a little reluctant to use a bit banged method for either. Also, the PCB that I'm laying out is pretty small, so space and tracking is an issue as the aforementioned PICs only come in a TQFP package.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ed
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:41 am     Reply with quote

The alternative solution, is to use something like the MAX3110, with a smaller PIC. Provided you have SPI, as well as a UART. The 'pity' is that you presumably don't need the RS232 transceivers, since this has the equivalent to a MAX232 'built in', and can buffer both the PIC's port,and it's own port, making it then an efficient use of space. Philips were doing a similar SPI-UART bridge, the SC16IS75x/76x. This is available in much smaller packages, but is relatively 'recent', so availablility may be more of an issue.

Best Wishes
asmallri

Re: PICs with two USARTs?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:52 am     Reply with quote

edhaslam wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any smaller PICs other than the PIC18F6722 and the PIC18F8722 that have two hardware USARTs?

I'm going to be parsing data from a GPS module and a Honeywell HMR3300 (digital compass module) at 9600 baud, so I'm a little reluctant to use a bit banged method for either. Also, the PCB that I'm laying out is pretty small, so space and tracking is an issue as the aforementioned PICs only come in a TQFP package.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ed

An 18F PIC will have no problem bit banging a 9600 baud modem (assuming you have a fast enough clock). An 18F PIC at 40MHz is capable three serial ports (two bitbanged) at 115Kbps FDX.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
edhaslam

Re: PICs with two USARTs?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:21 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
The alternative solution, is to use something like the MAX3110, with a smaller PIC. Provided you have SPI, as well as a UART. The 'pity' is that you presumably don't need the RS232 transceivers, since this has the equivalent to a MAX232 'built in', and can buffer both the PIC's port,and it's own port, making it then an efficient use of space. Philips were doing a similar SPI-UART bridge, the SC16IS75x/76x. This is available in much smaller packages, but is relatively 'recent', so availablility may be more of an issue.

Best Wishes

Yeah, all the signals that I will be parsing will be TTL level, so no need for an RS232 tranceiver. I'll check out the Phillips chip though, is it sounds as though it could be useful.

asmallri wrote:

An 18F PIC will have no problem bit banging a 9600 baud modem (assuming you have a fast enough clock). An 18F PIC at 40MHz is capable three serial ports (two bitbanged) at 115Kbps FDX.

This might have to be the other way of doing it as i'm struggling with the board layout at the moment. Maybe I'll do some tests with a low-end 18Fxxxx device and see how reliable it will be. How do you achieve 40MHz? Is it done by having a 20MHz clock and using the internal PLL?

Many thanks,
Ed
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:25 am     Reply with quote

No, it's done by having a 10MHz clock and the internal PLL.
The PLL, is *4 on most PICs.

Best Wishes
edhaslam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:12 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
No, it's done by having a 10MHz clock and the internal PLL.
The PLL, is *4 on most PICs.

Best Wishes

Thanks Ttelmah

Ed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:18 am     Reply with quote

The MAX3100 is also an SPI to UART interface without RS232 buffers.
Check it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: