CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Debouncing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryan

Debouncing
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:13 pm     Reply with quote

I am having a terrible time with getting my debounce routines to work for several interrupt driven buttons. Does the PIC queue interrupts that occur on the same port and then execute them in order? My problem here is that I have buttons that are supposed to move an arrow on an LCD one spot per button press (left or right depending on which button is pressed), but it often moves many spaces meaning multiple interrupts are occuring for each press (I am pretty sure that this means it is registering every bounce as an interrupt). I would think that if the PIC isn't queueing the interrupts that a delay would suffice to stop the bouncing, but the delays aren't working for me. Here is my code:

Code:

/****************************************************************************
* NAME: move_right
* DESCRIPTION: Sets the right arrow move right boolean to true
*****************************************************************************/
#int_ext
void move_right()
{

moveright = true;

}

and then in the main loop...

Code:

if (moveright  && mode == 1)
      {
         delay_ms(20);
         if(leftarrowpos + 1 != rightarrowpos)
         {
            leftarrowpos += 1;
         }

else
         {
            leftarrowpos = 12;
         }

moveright = false;
         redisplay();
      }

I am not sure why this still bounces so much, and I have tried some of the routines given on this site as well as putting the delay in the interrupt itself (I know this isn't advisable). I have tried increasing the delay significantly and have found that a 400ms delay causes most presses (About 90%) to act debounced. Unfortunately this causes the system to lag, and it seems unreasonable for any button to need a delay this long for debouncing. If anyone has any thoughts please let me know as I am getting very frustrated with this and am about to just implement a hardware solution since software doesn't seem to be working.
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Debouncing
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:09 pm     Reply with quote

Bryan wrote:
I am having a terrible time with getting my debounce routines to work for several interrupt driven buttons.

Since your button is connected to the interrupt, you should debounce the button in hardware. This thread gives some solutions for h/w debouncing. http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24103

Bryan wrote:
Does the PIC queue interrupts that occur on the same port and then execute them in order?

No, PIC doesn't que interrupts. PIC doesn't nest interrupts either. If you get an interrupt, and the same interrupt occurs befor ethe first one is serviced (i.e. the ISR returns), the second interrupt is ignored. Sad but true.

By the way, I'm entertaining an idea of making an interrupt controller with a queue out of a CPLD and interfacing it to a PIC via I2C or SPI.
jecottrell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:25 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
If you get an interrupt, and the same interrupt occurs befor ethe first one is serviced (i.e. the ISR returns), the second interrupt is ignored.

Couldn't you, or shouldn't you, put the delay in the ISR to actually debounce the switch? I understand that that isn't a recommended technique, but a delay outside the ISR really doesn't do anything except add a bunch of delays to the switch bounce?

BTW. I have had very good success with Newguy's interrupt driven keypad code from the code library used along with tactile switches.... His code uses delays outside the ISR which contradicts what I said above...

An expert explanation would be greatly appreciated,

John
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:34 pm     Reply with quote

jecottrell wrote:
Couldn't you, or shouldn't you, put the delay in the ISR to actually debounce the switch?

That will work for a simple case, but:
1. An interrupt with an equal priority can be missed.
2. The timing of your main() will be all over the place. It's detrimental if main() is running a control loop without a timer. And even if the control loop is runing on a timer interrupt, the timer interrupt can be missed (see 1.).
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:26 pm     Reply with quote

Unless you are waking from sleep, why even bother using an interrupt to detect button presses? I have yet needed to do this. I simply have a task that runs every so often checking for button presses. If you check the code library, you will find some routines that I wrote for another user. These are way more complicated than just detecting button presses but it might be worth looking at

http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22145
Neutone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:35 am     Reply with quote

I use a routine that is called at a periodic rate to sample the input pin and debounce it. It's also easy to read and understand.

http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19422&highlight=debounce
amcfall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:11 am     Reply with quote

What I did was have an adjustable debounce delay (it's a feature!). After however many ms pass and the value is met it clears then enables the interrupt.

Avery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: