CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

OT: Cellular modems (1xRTT/CDMA2000)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
newguy

OT: Cellular modems (1xRTT/CDMA2000)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

I'm just getting started on a revamp of a product I developed some time ago. I want to add a remote monitoring/configuration ability. The kinds of features I'd like to add are:

- Remote notification. For instance, it would be nice if the remote unit could send an email to a central monitoring facility or a text message to a cell phone in response to an alarm condition/whatever.
- Remote configuration. It would be really nice if a central monitoring facility could send a coded email/sms message to the unit to set trip points, turn it on/off, request status information, etc.

I've been digging around and, to my untrained eyes, it looks like incorporating these features will be very simple. It seems you just need a cellular modem. Sending emails/SMS are easily done using simple AT commands, and receiving emails/SMS look just as easy.

My question boils down to: is it really this easy? I don't need to incorporate a web server or anything like that, do I?

Lastly, has anyone done something like this before? Any 'gotchas' to look out for?

And the cellular modem is my only option - I can't remotely monitor these things any other way.
Foppie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:08 am     Reply with quote

I replied in this thread to such a topic.
I did (quikly) seek but not find any AT commands to send e-mail, so I'm not sure if that is possible...
But sending SMS is really easy, and receiving SMS needs just a little more thought. It's nothing to worry about.

Difficulties might be:
- writing the interrupt
- managing the incoming strings: Expect lots of characters, in my case it wouldn't fit in the RAM.
newguy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:38 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Foppie.

I read your comment about running out of RAM, and I was going to ask if you were using a 18F PIC, but I read in the other thread that you're using a 16F.

I don't know if "email" is a proper term.....I know that those modems have the capability of sending a SMS to any email address. That's what I meant. You're right about the protocol, though: it will be a little tricky to properly interface to the modem and send/receive SMS, but nothing I can't handle.

Incidentally, the modem I was looking at is found here: http://www.arcelect.com/CDS_9060_manaul.pdf. Look at the bottom of page 21, and it describes the procedure for sending and receiving SMS. Is it similar to the protocol you're familiar with?
Foppie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:39 am     Reply with quote

The modem I am using has two sms modes. PDU and Text. In Text mode the protocol is the same as yours, only in the AT-manual it states <data-address> and it doesn't mention e-mail. It does mention data-address as: "GSM 03.40 TP-Destination-Address Value in string format"

Sending won't be a problem because you don't need your RAM for sending, receiving might be, because you might receive a SMS that is bigger than your largest array of characters. That's what I meant by the RAM problem in this case. You won't run out of RAM (I don't on a PIC16F) but you might have to store it in multiple arrays, which gives overhead.
You will have to think about how to handle that problem...
newguy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:27 am     Reply with quote

Foppie wrote:
Sending won't be a problem because you don't need your RAM for sending, receiving might be, because you might receive a SMS that is bigger than your largest array of characters. That's what I meant by the RAM problem in this case. You won't run out of RAM (I don't on a PIC16F) but you might have to store it in multiple arrays, which gives overhead.
You will have to think about how to handle that problem...

Ahh....I see now. Thanks very much for the tip!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: