CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Obtaining valid MAC addresses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBM

Obtaining valid MAC addresses
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:33 pm     Reply with quote

I'm currently in development of a TCP/IP controlled device which may well go "to market". ( It's using an ENC28J60 and a PIC18F6720 if anyone's interested ). My concern is that of having a valid MAC address for each unit.

I know that for the small fee of 1650US$ I could register my company with the IEE (i thi) and then have an awful lot of MAC addresses, though I can't see my rather niche application warranting such an outlay!

So: has anyone any experience in purchasing small numbers of MAC addresses? I don't mean "eeproms with MAC addresses stored on them" (which I have seen) - I mean just the numbers!
Thanks
-JBM
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:02 pm     Reply with quote

You can get a block of 4096 for $550(US):
http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/pilot-ind.html
Darren Rook

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:56 pm     Reply with quote

Or just fill it with random numbers. The odds of another NIC being on the same network with the same MAC address would be extremely low.

That's probably not legal though - but who enforces such things? Very Happy
Darren Rook

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:57 pm     Reply with quote

Or just fill it with random numbers. The odds of another NIC being on the same network with the same MAC address would be extremely low.

That's probably not legal though - but who enforces such things? Very Happy
asmallri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:11 pm     Reply with quote

Here are a few other options:

1. Go to the local flea market and buy old ISA adapters - they can be had for $0.50 each or less.

2. From memory (I may be wrong) the OUI 10 00 00 is public - does not belong to anyone. Therefore you can use MAC addresses in the range of 100000000000 to 100000ffffff

3. Look at the OUI list for a company that no longer exists

4. Pick an OUI from step 2 or 3 and construct the reamined of you MAC address from a hash with you IP address. Then if there is ever a problem changing you IP address will automatically give you a different MAC address.

In the days before networking converged on IP, MAC addresses had to be globally unique. These days they only have to be unique within a single broadcast domain (within a bridged domain aka layer 2 switched network). This generally means that bridging (layer 2 switching) is limited to a single subnet. Subnets of larger that 256 nodes are rare (and indicatative very very poor network design - there is no excuse). This means if you were to pick a valid MAC address the probability of there being a duplicate in the same subnet is is 1 in 1099511627776

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: