CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

No file creation - need to store and then transfer to a PC.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:20 pm     Reply with quote

Um... 24LC515. He listed it right there.

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/21673E.pdf

BTW, your calculations do not include the ACK bit.
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:42 pm     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Um... 24LC515. He listed it right there.

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/21673E.pdf

BTW, your calculations do not include the ACK bit.

u-hu. Table 1-2, item 17.
Joshua Lai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:53 pm     Reply with quote

Oh! I see. Really so slow eh? Most of the time spent for waiting?
Joshua Lai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:56 pm     Reply with quote

All parameters in nanosecond and this one in milisecond. Why read time not specified?
ckielstra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:41 am     Reply with quote

With about 10kbyte data size I agree that something like an external serial EEPROM is the best solution for storing the data. For transferring the data to the PC I suggest using RS232, USB is nice but way more difficult to implement.

I have good experiences with FRAM chips from Ramtron . FRAM chips do have the same advantages as EEPROM but have unlimited write cycles and are a lot faster (only limited by the serial bus). Available in both SPI, I2C and parallel versions.
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:30 am     Reply with quote

Joshua Lai wrote:
All parameters in nanosecond and this one in milisecond. Why read time not specified?

5ms is the time required for the write. Not the data transfer.
There is no wait period for reading and thus no data parameter. The time required to read data depends on how fast you are talking to the chip as well as any inter byte delays.
JimB

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:19 pm     Reply with quote

I talked with our programmer at work today about this problem of data and transferring it. He programs mostly AVR devices but he turned me on to several documents for the AVR that allow dealing with FLASH cards plus a load of software that give you functions like fopen() and creating FAT12, etc. to write to these devices. Only problem is that it takes the most powerful of the AVRs to support all the code required. He also told me about the PIC and AVR Webrings. Just put "PIC Webring" into google.
When I first went there today there was an ad for a module to use with the PIC processors that allow you to interface to a SD Flashcard. When I went there this evening I couldn't find it again. Some of the windows must rotate their information. It was in one of the minor windows.
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:34 pm     Reply with quote

But for 10K worth of data, I think you are better off just using a serial eeprom. I don't think you specified what happens to the data once it is on the PC.
Joshua Lai

Re: Data size
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:02 pm     Reply with quote

JimB wrote:
To answer the question regarding the amount of data saved and later transferred - quick calculation says around 10,000 bytes maximum.

How fast your application needs to store the data? The eeprom write speed is 5ms, then the fastest rate can be achieve is only 200 words per second.

Any other faster way to store large amount of data for portable application? For example, sound recording, ecg recording.
asmallri

Re: Data size
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:37 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
How fast your application needs to store the data? The eeprom write speed is 5ms, then the fastest rate can be achieve is only 200 words per second..

No. You can do a page write. The page size for a 24LC512 is 64 bytes which means you can write 12800 bytes per second. You could also look at a SD/MMC card which uses the SPI interface.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
Joshua Lai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:17 pm     Reply with quote

Page size (64 bytes) is so small, that means cannot use eeprom for continuous data aquasition? Other storage media are more difficult to interface, and more expensive??

I tested the eeprom speed, and found that,
write time=5ms
read time=600us
sequential read=100us
page write not yet tried...

www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=51687#51687
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:07 am     Reply with quote

Joshua Lai wrote:
Page size (64 bytes) is so small, that means cannot use eeprom for continuous data aquasition? Other storage media are more difficult to interface, and more expensive??

I tested the eeprom speed, and found that,
write time=5ms
read time=600us
sequential read=100us
page write not yet tried...

www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=51687#51687

Well if it takes 5ms to aquire 64 samples then I guess you could!

Take a look at this.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:29 am     Reply with quote

I found this for supporting a flashcard. A little large but not totally out of the question.

http://www.armanet.com/

As for the speed, I don't think that this would be an issue.
Eugeneo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:43 pm     Reply with quote

I used a M25P20, it's a 2 mbit Flash chip (256k for less than 2 dollars). I can download at 19200 contiuous with no flow control interruptions. Just had a 20 byte ring buffer to take care of the page program down time.
ckielstra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:46 am     Reply with quote

JimB wrote:
When I first went there today there was an ad for a module to use with the PIC processors that allow you to interface to a SD Flashcard. When I went there this evening I couldn't find it again. Some of the windows must rotate their information. It was in one of the minor windows.
Maybe this is what you were looking for? http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24187

As your colleague already mentioned, a library like this will only work on the more powerful processors (a PIC18F252+ for limited functionality or PIC18F6720+ for full functionality).

Just one more thing: Compact Flash and MMC cards are nice but for your application seem like a huge overkill in required processor power, money and time to complete the project.

Why do you focus so hard on the fopen() function? Is it going to be one large file or are you planning on multiple files? Why would you ever want to introduce the overhead of file names, file systems and all the alike when the PC has no direct access to the memory chip but only by talking to your PIC?

You only want to write about 10kbyte of data. Easiest implementation would be to use one of the suggested external serial memory devices. I prefer FRAM because it is extremely fast and easy to implement because of no memory pages like most EEPROMs and no erase commands required.. With a small wrapper function you can access these devices just like you would access a large memory array. Choose any cheap PIC with I2C or SPI interface and off you go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: