CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Using a PIC on a breadboard...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBS

Using a PIC on a breadboard...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:32 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm about ready to start my project. For my first prototypes, I will be building everything on a breadboard. I remember from my senior project in high school that some teams had issues when trying to put a crystal oscillator on a breadboard. I intend on using a crystal oscillator to clock my PIC.

1) A crystal oscillator is the most common clock source for PIC projects, right?

2) Has anyone had any experience using a crystal oscillator to clock a PIC on a breadboard?

3) Because the oscillator doesn't come in DIP form, I'm planning on just soldering wires to the pins and connecting it to the breadboard. Does this sound OK?

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sal
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:48 am     Reply with quote

What do you mean by "breadboard"? I hope you don't mean one of those horrible white plastic tiles with rows of holes and little metal clips for each row! Those stink above audio frequencies and they are not very reliable either.

I use vectorboard and flea clips for things that can afford to be large. For smaller stuff I use double sided PCB stock. I cut pads with an Xacto knife and hook things together with Kynar (wirewrap) wire. I use the backside of the PCB as a groundplane so to ground something just drill a hole. Often I mount DIPs by just glueing them on upside down. Remember the pins are now numbered backwards though!

For the basic PIC and oscillator circuit you can buy prototyping boards from lots of sources. Then just use the above techniques for your special circuitry.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:59 am     Reply with quote

for example
http://www.melabs.com/
newguy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:00 am     Reply with quote

I have to agree with SherpaDoug on this.

The oscillator connections can be tempermental on a proper PCB - on a breadboard? Forget it!
SBS

Awesome!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:09 am     Reply with quote

Great! This is the kind of information that will save me from many hours of headache.

Thanks for the info!

-Sal
adrian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:18 am     Reply with quote

I am running a 16F913 on Veroboard at 8Mhz. Ok so it's not that fast, but I use the internal oscillator - no external oscillators required.
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

DIP
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:38 am     Reply with quote

The standard full- and half-size oscillators will fit on the breadboard as is. There also are oscillators in 8-DIP and 14-DIP, for example SG-531P (you can find them on DigiKey).
AK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:46 am     Reply with quote

I develop PIC projects all the time with a breadboard with out a problem. As long as you don't have the wires sticking up like giant antenae's you shouldn't have a problem.
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:07 pm     Reply with quote

AK wrote:
I develop PIC projects all the time with a breadboard with out a problem. As long as you don't have the wires sticking up like giant antenae's you shouldn't have a problem.

Same here. I never had problems with oscillators or crystals for PICs. The highest frequency I used was 20MHz, and I always kept the traces as short as possible. The clock input would usually be the only high-frequency signal on your board.

Try it out. It's quick to try.
asmallri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:38 pm     Reply with quote

AK wrote:

I have used the white breadboards with 20MHz crystal without too much problem. For a short term breadboard project spanning a few days I would consider this method viable.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
StuartH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:03 am     Reply with quote

I've never had any serious problems with solderless breadboards either. In fact, they've saved me a whole heap of development time. I've run many different types of PIC, with clock rates from 1-16MHz (RC,single crystal, oscillator modules and oscillators built with discrete components) without trouble.

As has already been said, they're not intended for long term use - but to prove a circuit they're really useful.
JimB

Quick turnaround, inexpensive PCB
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:12 pm     Reply with quote

I have used a company called ExpressPCB. For breadboard work this is a great place to investigate. First of all you don't need any fancy PCB layout software, you can download theirs for free. The built in library is quite complete and I found that allmost all surface mount standard packages are supplied. If you just want a quick prototype board and stay under a certain size aand don't want such things as solder mask, silkscreens, etc. you can get this small board back in a couple of days after submitting your design for around $60. (Ithink that is for three copies of the board.)
I personally cannot solder the fine pitch parts myself, so I employ a lady who does this for living for a very modest cost. Order your parts from Digikey and for not a high cost you can have yoursefl a PCB for a very reasonable price. They are going to offer the ability to use Orcad netlists to do the rubberband connects so that all you have to do is draw the circuit. It's definitely worth looking into. I'll bet that Orcad is the most ubiquitous shematic capture around.
sseidman

Re: Quick turnaround, inexpensive PCB
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:01 am     Reply with quote

JimB wrote:
If you just want a quick prototype board and stay under a certain size aand don't want such things as solder mask, silkscreens, etc. you can get this small board back in a couple of days after submitting your design for around $60. (Ithink that is for three copies of the board.)
I personally cannot solder the fine pitch parts myself, ...

There are a variety of companies that offer essestially the same service using standard Gerber files (that is, you can use your own routing software) for about the same price, and they give you all the bells and whistles that ExpressPCB doesn't. You'd have an easier time soldering the fine pitch chips with a solder mask!

That said, I usually breadboard my projects before cutting a board using a kit like the CCD ACE, but regular breadboards seem to work almost as well
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:05 am     Reply with quote

I've etched them in the Kitchen sink before Mr. Green in a glass tray of course.
ljbeng

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:17 am     Reply with quote

I just solder the crystal right to the micro pins when I prototype with a bread-board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: