CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Slightly OT: Visual Basic 6.0 USB programming resources

View previous topic :: View next topic  
edhaslam

Slightly OT: Visual Basic 6.0 USB programming resources
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:56 am     Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm currently developing a USB datalogger around the 18F4550 and i'm about to start writing some software for the 'download' utility. The problem is that i've never done any USB comms in VB. Does anybody know of any good websites/books that cover this topic?

Cheers,
Ed
newguy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:40 am     Reply with quote

I just started reading "USB Complete" by Jan Axelson last week. I bought this book based on recommendations from people here.

I'm about halfway through it, and it's a decent book. The first 5 chapters are ugly - grossly repetitive - but everything after that has been good.

The author includes code snippets for use in Visual C++ and Visual Basic, but there is no complete program in the text. Instead, there is a note to look at the author's website: www.lvr.com

I haven't had a chance to check out the website yet, but the code should be there.

As a separate question, has anyone here bought CCS' USB development kit? How are the s/w examples for the PC that come with it? Are they easy to follow?
edhaslam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:58 am     Reply with quote

newguy wrote:
I just started reading "USB Complete" by Jan Axelson last week. I bought this book based on recommendations from people here.

I'm about halfway through it, and it's a decent book. The first 5 chapters are ugly - grossly repetitive - but everything after that has been good.

The author includes code snippets for use in Visual C++ and Visual Basic, but there is no complete program in the text. Instead, there is a note to look at the author's website: www.lvr.com

I haven't had a chance to check out the website yet, but the code should be there.

As a separate question, has anyone here bought CCS' USB development kit? How are the s/w examples for the PC that come with it? Are they easy to follow?

Thanks newguy. I've got that book on order so hopefully it will help. I'll check out the website too in the mean time.

I have the USB dev kit from CCS. It's very good with some useful examples. I only have v3.222 of the compiler though. Annoyingly they released some more examples just after my (tiny!) 30 day support had finished. I believe there are some examples for the new 2550/4550 chips that do not require external USB peripherals.

Does anyone else have any other USB (VB6) resources they can recommend?
newguy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:02 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Ed. Sounds like the USB kit is the way to go, so I'll order it today.
edhaslam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:07 am     Reply with quote

newguy wrote:
Thanks Ed. Sounds like the USB kit is the way to go, so I'll order it today.

It's definitely a good starting point. I hope they do a 4550 version of the hardware as that would be useful.
newguy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:17 am     Reply with quote

Have you had a look at the USB example in the code library? I forget the author's name, but you'll know the example when you see it, as it's in Spanish. Someone asked the original poster to translate it to english, but PCM programmer posted a link to an online translator.

I've looked at the translated code, and it's pretty easy to understand. I believe he also uses a 4550, like you want.

Someone else also posted a link to a project they did with (I think) a 2550. The project was to implement a joystick or something like that? Search the forum, you'll find it. The guy posted complete pic code. I don't remember if there was PC side code or not.
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:31 pm     Reply with quote

Go read this app note from Microchip. You'll be surprised at how easy you VB code can be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: