CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

human detection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
horizontech

human detection
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:28 pm     Reply with quote

Hi !

I Looking to find a low cost solution to turn on LED on display when client are in front ( max 1 meter ).

I need to find some idea about ... IR.. Photocell.. or other

Thanks for your time

Alain Tanguay
libor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:57 am     Reply with quote

There's been a short thread here about it already. here
There's a range of methods you can start to look for: PIR (passive infrared detectors), microwave alarm sensors, ultrasonic, IR laser remote thermometer, air movement (pressure) detectors, and don't forget a simple pressure sensitive door mat placed properly, or a light curtain with IR laser and mirrors. Or a much more resource demanding solution would be to process a digitized camera image...
The challenge for the alarm-type sensor solutions is to make enough hysteresis (in software I think), so you can detect a person in a temporarily moveless but still present state.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:57 am     Reply with quote

A huge amount depends on the enviroment involved. Standard PIR modules are very cheap, and work quite well, but require 'movement' of the target. However these tend to miss-trigger in areas with bright sunlight, or rapid air movements (doors opening/closing etc.). Radio gets expensive, and runs into licensing issues. I'd suspect the easiest way would probably be ultrasonic. Small 8pin pic, generating a burst tone into a ultrasonic transmitter, receiver connected to a fairly simple active filter, and the output of this driving back into the PIC. System looks for the first return signal, after a blanking period designed to ignore any directly coupled signal inside the box, or through the PCB. I did a little rangefinder like this some time ago, and the whole thing involved a couple of op-amps, one inductor, and a 8pin PIC, and gave quite effective rangefinding over distances from about 6", out to typically 10 feet. The best 'test target', is a tennis ball, which is suprisingly difficult to detect (soft surface, and convex, so the return is very low). A human is comparitively easy.
You could do a similar thing, using a IR transmitter sending a tone, and an IR receiver looking for returned signals. However the problem is distinguishing what is a human. With this, the only 'signal', is a change in amplitude of the returned pulse. A flat wall 10 feet away, might well give more return than a human a couple of feet away. Without any form of 'distance' indication, workin out when a person is present, then becomes hard...

Best Wishes
jahan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

I've tested the PING)))) from parallax and it works pertty well for sensing movement (change of distance from previous ping). It's very easy to use BS2. I've tested it with 16F84A and gave pertty good result.

Price is not bad.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28015
valemike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:16 pm     Reply with quote

jahan wrote:
I've tested the PING)))) from parallax and it works pertty well for sensing movement (change of distance from previous ping). It's very easy to use BS2. I've tested it with 16F84A and gave pertty good result.

Price is not bad.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28015

Jahan, does the Parallax part have a clicking sound while it's running? I remember ultrasonic door threshold sensors used to click a lot.
jahan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:10 pm     Reply with quote

there is a ticking sound, but the room has to be VERY QUIT to hear it.
in normal operation, the blinking LED is more noticable than the very soft clicking sound.
newguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:15 pm     Reply with quote

Sharp has a number of analog and digital infrared distance measurement sensors. I've used them pretty extensively, and they work very well. They're borderline cheap (~$20 CDN), but they can measure distances out to 1.5 m (about 4.5 feet). Might work for you.

Go to http://www.digikey.com and search for 425-2062-ND
(Sharp distance measurement sensor GP2Y0A02YK0F).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: