CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Using a 74HC4052 to switch between serial devices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Arnold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:16 pm     Reply with quote

This is a little off topic, sorry. I have a project which needs 4 serial ports to be polled off of one hardware serial port. I don't wish to use RS422/485. My question is, has anyone tried to use or knows if a 74HC4052 will work? This is a Dual 4 channel analog switch or Mux/Demux. This device can handle +/- 6 volts. So if I attactch it to the TTL side of a MAX232 chip. That should work. My concern is switch times, etc. So, can an analog switch handle a digital signal? At what baud rate will it fail to work? I have scanned over two data sheets, but some of those charts and graphs give me a head ache.

Thanks in advance,

Ed
Humberto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:43 am     Reply with quote

Why are you looking for an analog selector if you are dealing with TTL levels?
Try the 74LS352 Dual 4 Line to 1 Line Data Selector.
Itīs propagation delays time is in the nanoseconds range.

Keep well,

Humberto
dyeatman

MAX398
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:53 am     Reply with quote

I have used the MAX398 in several designs with no problems. Although I have never needed that kind of switching speed, it also appears to have times in the nanosecond range.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:30 am     Reply with quote

The reason is fairly obvious if you think about it. To multiplex both the transmit and receive, requires one device for each data direction, using normal logic chips, but both can be done with a single analog multiplexor.
The 4052, should be fine with any normal data rate. The old Cmos 4066 multiplexer, was commonly used to handle placing text into a video picture, at dot clock rates in the order of 14Mhz. There was some degradation, but not too bad.
The reason for the lack of propogation data, is that unlike a logic gate where there is an internal propogation delay through the device, these multiplexers are effectively FET based bilateral switches, and the delay characteristic is dependant on the FET resistance, the capacitance of the load, and the drive ability of the source. You can model them as a resistor with the same on resistance quoted for the gate, and a capacitor across the output. The propogation data normally quoted, is the time to select a different channel, rather than for data transfers using one of the switches. The typical transfer time through the switch, is fast, only in the order of 4nSec, but the time to select a different channel, is in the order of 300nSec. The output capacitance is normally quoted as 12pF, with the on-state resistance varying according to supply voltage, but in the order of 200R. The typical performance bandwidth is in excess of 20MHz, so should be fine for any serial data rate.

Best Wishes
Humberto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:07 am     Reply with quote

Quote:

The reason is fairly obvious if you think about it. To multiplex both the transmit and receive, requires one device for each data direction, using normal logic chips, but both can be done with a single analog multiplexor.

This is not fairly true. If you take a look at the Logical architecture of the
74HC352 and the 74HC4052 you will see that both share the same
concept design.
For its FET nature the 4052 is bi-directional and can handle limited analog
signals but this is not the point.

Keep well.

Humberto
Ed Arnold

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:49 pm     Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies. I got the answers I needed and your info clearified many confusions from the data sheets. I will also look into the 74HC352 that was mentioned.

Thanks Again Very Happy

Ed
Ed Arnold

Using a 74HC352 to switch between serial devices
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:06 pm     Reply with quote

I was unable to find a data sheet for this part. TI's web site states this part is no longer in production. Digikey, Mouser, etc do not sell them. The only hits I got on Google were the japan surplus dealers. So, if the chip is out of production or near EOL, then putting it in a new product doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the input just the same,

Ed
Humberto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:34 am     Reply with quote

Humberto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:41 am     Reply with quote

Sorry for posted again. I tested the previous link and didnīt function.
http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/nationalsemiconductor/DS006425.PDF

Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: