CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

pic 18f6621 uart receiver buffer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nino

pic 18f6621 uart receiver buffer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:24 am     Reply with quote

Hello
Excuse me for bad english! Embarassed
I've a problem whit USART2 of my pic; I've got the main function that must make some things, at the same time another device try to communicate with my pic in USART2.
I've wrote an int routine for take one caracter from usart2 when it's arrive but in a piece of program I must disable int_sda2 because the function must be atomic (without interruction).
If more than 2 caracter arrive into disabled time of interrupt the "getc" becomes insensible for all other caracters.
If I disable the "atomic function" all work correctly and if I haven't try to communicate all work but for my job together must run .
How can I solve this problem?
Thank's
Nino
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:58 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
If more than 2 character arrive into disabled time of interrupt the "getc" becomes insensible for all other characters.

The UART is locking up, due to a receiver overrun condition.
You can add the ERRORS parameter to your #use rs232() statement
to automatically clear the error. You will still lose the characters,
but the UART will not lock up. Example:
Code:
#use rs232(baud=9600, xmit=PIN_C6, rcv=PIN_C7, ERRORS)
Nino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:05 am     Reply with quote

I tryed but if I use ERRORS my program don't work correctly! I haven't understand why but I've got some problem with int1 routine if I enable ERRORS!
His behavior is like Uncertainty Principle of Heisenberg Shocked , if I watch what appened with printf on com1 port all work logical correctly Very Happy but timing are wrong; if I remove printf program dont work Sad !
Douglas Kennedy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:30 am     Reply with quote

The "Uncertainty Principle of Heisenberg" is a feature of the universe and can't be avoided. The issue you are having most likely can be avoided.
You could use buffers to save the inbound chars as soon as they arrive .
The interrupt service routines will do a getc a write to a buffer and update a pointer then return and nothing else ( especially dont use putc or printf in the service routine ). The main routine will in a loop examine the buffers. The extended buffers using PIC ram smooth the peak demand by having a place for inbound chars to live till you get to look at them. If the chars on average ( averaged over the buffer size) arrive faster than you can handle them then this is not "uncertainty" it is guaranteed not to work. However usually the PIC with a fast clock frequency and an appropriate baud rate will work well.
Nino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:01 am     Reply with quote

I tryed to made a light int routine but problem is the same! But why ERRORS didn't work correctly? Someone have an idea?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:53 am     Reply with quote

Post your 'light' interrupt routine.
You should be using as your 'example' for this, the ex_sisr code. Notice that this _allways_ calls the getc, in the interrupt (this is vital when using 'ERRORS', since it is only 'invoked' when a character is actually fetched). What will your code actually do, when characters are missed?. Remember that if the other interrupt is long enough that characters are lost, these are gone for ever. Your receive code must be 'smart' enough to perform some form of error recovery whan data is lost.

Best Wishes
Nino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:38 am     Reply with quote

My USART initialisation:
#use delay(clock=4000000)

#use rs232(stream=com1, baud=9600, xmit=PIN_c6, rcv=PIN_c7,PARITY=N, BITS =8,ERRORS)
#use rs232(stream=com2, baud=9600, xmit=PIN_g1, rcv=PIN_g2,PARITY=N, BITS =8,ERRORS)

My heavy "routine":

#int_rda2
void riceve2(void)
{
ch2=fgetc(com2);
newchar2=1;
}

If I use ERRORS (into #use rs232..) program stop into this routine:

void ricevi(void)
{

enable_interrupts(INT_TIMER1);
while (conta<300);
disable_interrupts(INT_TIMER1);

}

with this int1 routine
#int_timer1
void step(void)
{
set_timer1(65435);
if (campionamento!=0)
massimi[conta]=read_adc();
conta++;
}

If I didn't use ERRORS all work good but when a caracter was received and the Pic was busy the receiver buf come in overrun condition.
Have you any idea?
Thank's Nino
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: