CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Not enough EEPROM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljbeng

Not enough EEPROM
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:43 am     Reply with quote

I am using the 18f452 and I need 350 bytes of non-volatile memory. The EEPROM is only 256 bytes. Is it wise to use the program flash space for memory back-up. Is there a CCS example that shows the best way to do this? Thanks.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:11 pm     Reply with quote

Depends how often you want to change the memory contents. The EEPROM, typically has at least ten times the read/write 'life' of the main memory, and in some chips hundreds of times the life. Really much easier/safer to just add an external memory, if the values have to change at all often. If instead of EEPROM, you use FRAM, you get faster write access, and much larger sizes.

Best Wishes
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:17 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a CCS example that shows the best way to do this? Thanks.

See this thread.
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21818&highlight=exlogger
valemike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:28 am     Reply with quote

The PIC18F4525, which is a pin-to-pin replacement, has 1024 bytes of eeprom. Consider the upgrade.
future

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:48 pm     Reply with quote

valemike wrote:
The PIC18F4525, which is a pin-to-pin replacement, has 1024 bytes of eeprom. Consider the upgrade.

Do you know if it is fully code compatible with the 452?

I am using the tiny bootloader and it is not listed.
valemike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:34 am     Reply with quote

I'm not sure.

You have to re-map any registers according to the datasheet. In general, some devices have extra modules (e.g. comparators) whose power-up default values has these modules enabled, and you have to explicitly undo these if you want to use them as digital i/o.

The quickest way to find out is to do your compile and run it. If certain I/O are not toggling as you want, then you might want to read in further about that specific i/o port. I usually just start off changing any register mapping, and compile as-is, then when all else fails, i read the manual.

Since you're migrating between 18F to another 18F device, it shouldn't be as tedious as migrating from a 16 to an 18.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: