CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

bootloader and SIOW XON/XOFF protocol problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moutinho

bootloader and SIOW XON/XOFF protocol problem
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:27 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

I am testing the booltoader.c example that comes wih the CCS 3.206. I am using SIOW terminal program in order to send HEX files to the bootloader application. The bootloader.c suspends reception using XOFF command. I have placed a breakpoint just after this command but it seems that the SIOW (Serial Input/Output Monitor) program does not understand this command and display a TIMEOUT error message box. I am trying to use the command File->Download Software.
If I do not stop execution, the file is transfered successfully.

Should I use another command or must set any configuration ?

Thanks,
Andre
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:22 am     Reply with quote

How is the communication port setup in device manager?. Normally programs of this sort, 'inherit' the settings from here, unless they have the ability to override them.

Best Wishes
moutinho

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:34 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

bps - 9600
data bit - 8
parity - none
stop bit - 1
control - Xon/Xoff
Advanced - do not using buffer.. (unchecked)

Should I try anothe terminal program? such as hyperterminal?

Thanks,
Andre

Ttelmah wrote:
How is the communication port setup in device manager?. Normally programs of this sort, 'inherit' the settings from here, unless they have the ability to override them.

Best Wishes
Ian McCrum

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:39 am     Reply with quote

It is VERY important that you do not use the 16(15!) byte fifo buffer which is part of the uart in most modern PCs. Make sure it is disabled.

Worst case scenario is to use big end of line delays - some terminal emulators will allow this for text uploads.

Hope that helps. - I did use a xon/xoff version of the bootloader with windows 98 and had no bother - I came back to it a year or so ago and had a lot of bother with windows 2000. I gave up and wired up a handshake line and use it now... allows download from hyperterminal and so should run on any PC.

b4n
Ian

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:42 pm     Reply with quote

I made a modification of the included bootloader example of CCS and I made an visual basic apps for downloading the code to the PIC. I never use the SIOW that came with the compiler.

I already tested it on RS485 communication at 115,200bps and it work perfect.
moutinho

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:08 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

I did the same using Builder C++. My bootloader is composed by 3 distint process. The first process half the memory copied into the second part of the memory. In the second process, the content of the second part of the memory is copied into the first part. Finnally, in the third process the remaining of the code is copied into the second part of the memory. With this I have accomplished an update proccess in which the bootloader (processes 1 and 2) is also updated. All this using serial.
Now I will change from serial to GPRS and the update will be accomplished over the air (OTA).

Andre

chingB wrote:
I made a modification of the included bootloader example of CCS and I made an visual basic apps for downloading the code to the PIC. I never use the SIOW that came with the compiler.

I already tested it on RS485 communication at 115,200bps and it work perfect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: