CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

8x8 dot matrix display project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
memo

8x8 dot matrix display project
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:02 am     Reply with quote

hi me friends Very Happy
i want to build project which is PIC 16F877 controls the 6 (8x8) dot matrix display using a driver .
my questions what is suitable driver to drive 6 (8x8) and how can i start to write program for PIC to display scrolling message and right & left arrows.
so i will be grateful for any help Sad Sad
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:04 am     Reply with quote

Search the forum and you will find code that I have already posted that does exactly what you want.
memo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:49 pm     Reply with quote

hi mark Cool
thank you for consideration, but i cant find suitable driver for 8x8 led dot matrix display Embarassed Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:42 am     Reply with quote

I have a PCB and design for a 6 char display using 5x7 matrixes and an 877a if you are interested? Bare PCB would be £30 (4 layer). I have an 877a to chuck in too at £4. Plus full source for smooth scrolling software of course.
Parts cost are an additional approx £25 which I can supply as a kit or you can source yourself. (Be warned, its surface mount, so fiddly!)

For the record it doesn't use a driver chip cos I wanted full control over the pixels.
John P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:31 pm     Reply with quote

Take a look at the MAX7219:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1339

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:35 am     Reply with quote

I may be wrong but I don't think you can do smooth scrolling with MAX7219. Scrolling character by character is OK if you have a large (many chars) display but its easier to read a short display if the scrolling is smooth.
Gizz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:36 am     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I have a PCB and design for a 6 char display using 5x7 matrixes and an 877a if you are interested? Bare PCB would be £30 (4 layer). I have an 877a to chuck in too at £4. Plus full source for smooth scrolling software of course.
Parts cost are an additional approx £25 which I can supply as a kit or you can source yourself. (Be warned, its surface mount, so fiddly!)

For the record it doesn't use a driver chip cos I wanted full control over the pixels.

Sorry, forgot to log in when I posted that.
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:48 am     Reply with quote

memo wrote:
hi mark Cool
thank you for consideration, but i cant find suitable driver for 8x8 led dot matrix display Embarassed Embarassed

By "driver" are you referring to a piece of software or the actual device used to supply current to the LED.
John P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:28 am     Reply with quote

Well no, the Maxim chip won't do the scrolling for you. And for 6 characters at 8x8 each, you'd need 6 of the chips. But the interface would be simple, and the software in the PIC not too bad. Whether it's better to represent a horizontal set of 8 pixels as a byte, or a vertical set, I'm not sure. Anyway, either way it comes to 48 bytes, which isn't too alarming.
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:59 am     Reply with quote

Well I would just use a shift register.
memo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:59 am     Reply with quote

hi my friends again Smile

thank you for response, but how many shift registers can i use for 6(8x8) led dot matrix display and how i can connect shift registers to PIC....... and what is the model of shift register Question
Gizz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:03 am     Reply with quote

There are various SRs (HC595 comes to mind), but (depending on LED type) you can run the sink from an HC373 latch (rows) and then source from a P channel mosfet array or a driver chip (columns). Latch all 6 373's to present the data, light up one column (per display), wait a few ms, and repeat for the next column. This assumes you have 8 data lines to the latches, 6 latch lines, and 8 column strobe lines, = 22 IO lines. Whether you use a latch or a shift reg is immiterial except a SR take slonger to load the data in.

To connect SR to PIC, use tracks on a PCB (!)
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:30 am     Reply with quote

For a slightly similar project in the past, I used the TPIC6259 latch for the 'columns', since this is an 8bit addressable latch, with power driver built in (pull down). With this, four lines selected which display was enabled. One was the 'select', and the other three the address. we turned off the select, set up the next display pattern on the register driving the rows, selected the new column, and re-enabled the select. Worked well.

Best Wishes
NeoMatrix

i want to buy the kit
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:24 pm     Reply with quote

hello guest

i want to buy the kit as i am working in saudi arabia middle east can u tell me how could i buy that kit i am very much interested

thank u
Gizz

Dot Matrix Kit
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:03 am     Reply with quote

For anyone who wants the kit, please email

sales@tgbconsulting.co.uk

or send me a PM on CCS forum, but email will be quicker.

Regards, Gizz (aka Guest in post above!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: