CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Connecting several Rxd pins and Txd pins together ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arunb

Connecting several Rxd pins and Txd pins together ?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:24 am     Reply with quote

MCU: 16F628
Compiler: PCM

Hi,

I connected the Rxd pin and the TXd of two PIC 16F628s together. The junction I connected to a MAX 232 Ic ( the way it should be done). The PC's COM port is then connected to the MAX IC.

I find that I am unable to communicate with either of the PICs. when both of them are connected together, but each of them worked well when alone. I checked supply voltages they were OK.

I could post the code as well , but I would like to know if this kind of connection is OK ?. Or do I have to use I2C , SPI for this ?

thanks
arun
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:23 am     Reply with quote

So you tied 2 outputs together! So how can one of them transmit a low when the other is high? To answer your question, No you just can't tie them together. Your best bet is to use RS485 and each chip will need its own transceiver.
Neutone

Re: Connecting several Rxd pins and Txd pins together ?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:40 am     Reply with quote

arunb wrote:
MCU: 16F628
Compiler: PCM

Hi,

I connected the Rxd pin and the TXd of two PIC 16F628s together. The junction I connected to a MAX 232 Ic ( the way it should be done). The PC's COM port is then connected to the MAX IC.

I find that I am unable to communicate with either of the PICs. when both of them are connected together, but each of them worked well when alone. I checked supply voltages they were OK.

I could post the code as well , but I would like to know if this kind of connection is OK ?. Or do I have to use I2C , SPI for this ?

thanks
arun

Try connecting both TxD to an AND gate then connect the output of the AND gate to the MAX232 chip. The two pic's can not talk at the same time but if only one replys at a time it should work fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: