CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

16LF628A and LCD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljbeng

16LF628A and LCD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:32 am     Reply with quote

I am using the 16LF628A with 4.096MHz processor and the 2X16 LCD basically displays a clock. Works great.

I wanted to see what power savings vs. accuracy I would gain by using a 32.768KHz crystal. I changed the crystal and the directive for LP crystal operation. The chip will not initilize the LCD. I can change to the INTRC or back to HS (with 4.096MHz) and the chip/LCD works fine.

Any ideas?
valemike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:56 am     Reply with quote

I once used a PIC16LF627A for an LCD timer. Tried everything from an oscillator to internal clocks.

1. Using the internal clock burns more current than having an external oscillator. (Not sure, but in our case, using the internal oscillator drew around 50uA more than method #2 below).

2. If it's time that you want to keep as well as firing the LCD, then this is what we did: Get a 32Khz clock for OSC1 and OSC2 pins. This burns less current than the internal oscillator, and much less than a 4MHz clock. It also conveniently gives you a timebase that is divisible by seconds.
Mark

Re: 16LF628A and LCD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:06 pm     Reply with quote

ljbeng wrote:
I am using the 16LF628A with 4.096MHz processor and the 2X16 LCD basically displays a clock. Works great.

I wanted to see what power savings vs. accuracy I would gain by using a 32.768KHz crystal. I changed the crystal and the directive for LP crystal operation. The chip will not initilize the LCD. I can change to the INTRC or back to HS (with 4.096MHz) and the chip/LCD works fine.

Any ideas?

At 4MHz you should be using XT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: