CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Bluetooth HCI Stack

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yashu

Bluetooth HCI Stack
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:12 pm     Reply with quote

Anybody have good info or references to a BT HCI Stack that can be run with any of the popular compactflash cards coming out? or even a BCSP stack? A simple piconet point-to-point.

That is, no cash required stack... I know commercial BT stacks are a dime-a-dozen... but, wait, the spec is free along with CSR's data sheets and app notes.

I assume they all have CSR radios in them along with some kind of CF interface.. like from Oxford Semiconductor.

The closest I came so far was from the altruistic gentleman student from Rolla, Missouri who published to Circuit Cellar with a stack for 8051 micros targetting an Ericcson radio (which is what's in the old Ambicom CF cards.. along with an OXCF950)

I just cannot justify running a pre-emptive, multi-tasking OS just to send BT wireless data @ 750kb/s and I get nauseous when looking at the "rack-em-stack-em" modules from like blueradios.com and a7eng.com.
That's not engineering.

The price tags on the Brainboxes BT CF cards are ridiculous... I'd design my own BT CF card before using one of their's.
Hans Wedemeyer

Re: Bluetooth HCI Stack
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:51 pm     Reply with quote

Yashu wrote:

I just cannot justify running a pre-emptive, multi-tasking OS just to send BT wireless data @ 750kb/s and I get nauseous when looking at the "rack-em-stack-em" modules from like blueradios.com and a7eng.com.

That's not engineering.

A pre-emptive, multi-tasking OS is NOT needed with BlueRadio's modules.

What's not engineering about using a known solution ? If you need a wheel do you buy it ready made or re-invent it ?

Re-Inventing the wheel is not my idea of fun.
Yashu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:21 pm     Reply with quote

Hans Wedemeyer wrote:
Yashu wrote:

That's not engineering.

What's not engineering about using a known solution ? If you need a wheel do you buy it ready made or re-invent it ?

it's not needed to run an HCI state machine either.

single sourcing to blueradios.com doesn't appeal to me.
they also have no path to upgrade their firmware in field.

're-inventing' my 802.11b solution made me 3x the profit by keeping it all in-house and provided cross-microcontroller porting.

Believe me, there are advantages to casting your own wheels. It's work.. not fun.
Hans Wedemeyer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:09 pm     Reply with quote

Yashu wrote:
Hans Wedemeyer wrote:
Yashu wrote:

That's not engineering.

it's not needed to run an HCI state machine either.

single sourcing to blueradios.com doesn't appeal to me.
they also have no path to upgrade their firmware in field.

're-inventing' my 802.11b solution made me 3x the profit by keeping it all in-house and provided cross-microcontroller porting.

Believe me, there are advantages to casting your own wheels. It's work.. not fun.

It all depends on the projectt, if I have time may be, but life is getting shorter and wasting it on wheel making is not my bag of fun.

I needed BT quick and BlueRadio.com had them in stock, they are also very small and the new version (hardware) now has Tx power control.

After 45 years in the business I look for ready made when I need to.
Example: I tried working with the SD memory cards I thought I had time, and spent far too long with it, for $135 I got the source and it worked with FAT12 and FAT16.... !

BTW There is an upgrade path for the BlueRadio.com modules, simply buy the CR dev. kit and it's up to the user what code to program into the modules.

There is also a UK supplier of the very same module... I don't have the link but they are all into Robotics.
Anyway good luck with re-inventing those wheels.... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: