CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Debuggin 18F4550 on the PICDEM FSUSB with ICD2 or ICD-U40

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlchapman

Debuggin 18F4550 on the PICDEM FSUSB with ICD2 or ICD-U40
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:02 pm     Reply with quote

I'm trying to use debug on the FSUSB board from Microchip using the P18F4550. I'm using CCS V3.218, compiling in Mpelab 7.01. I've also tried selecting project/build options for ICD. The compiler string has +ICD in it. I know that I'm selecting the right stuff(DEBUG, #device ICD=True) because with the previous version compiler it displayed error that the target device did not support debug mode. Which isn't true. But in my working directory there is not a .cod file for debugging. I believe that is the file that needs to be created, correct me if I'm wrong. Appears to me that the compiler is not generating the correct file.

So I tried compiling and debugging in the CCS IDE. Same thing no .cod file in the working directory. Tried debug and clicked run and it appears to run but nothing, click reset and it displays a message saying OSC settings may not be correct and it really was not debugging. I'm using the icd-u40 with 1.38v.

The dedicated ICD port is disabled,Jumpers are factory default for legacy ICD port.

Sounds like a CCS problem to me. Wrong OSC setting? Any Ideas? Anybody been successful with the same setup? Programming is not a problem, just debug. I could try a short asm program and see if debug works with ICD2.

Thanks,

Jerry
#include <18F4550.h>
#DEVICE ICD=TRUE
#fuses NOWDT,NOPROTECT,NOPUT,DEBUG
#use delay(clock=48000000)
rwyoung

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:56 am     Reply with quote

What about your #fuses statement, where are you specifying HS or H4 (pll) for the oscillator? Where are you specifying NOLVP?

Found the problem
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:14 pm     Reply with quote

Well if nothing else when you have problems, you learn very well the tools your working with. Couple of things, in build options you select what type of debug file, in this case its .cof. Next thing was selecting debugger/settings/version, I noticed no debug executive version, big red flag there. Then reading the readme on mplab 7.01, its the first one to support the 18F4550 chips. I hadn't been using mplab for awhile and I was first selecting programmer/program to program the chip, then selecting debugger/run to run it. Well doing that the debug executive never gets programmed. So now it works great. Have no clue if it works with the ICD-u40 yet. I prefer mplab ide over the ccs ide most of the time. Now if I can just figure out converting the code to compile with ccs.

later,

Jerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: