CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Mature PICs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie U

Mature PICs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:26 am     Reply with quote

Has anyone else had a chance to review the latest Product Selection Guide on Microchip's website?

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/00148K1.pdf

Check out pages 20 and 21 of the pdf file, and read it and weep!! Our trusted 18F452 and its siblings (458, 252 etc.) are now listed as "Not recommended for new designs". Sad

I realize that there are "direct" replacements, but these parts are fairly new and the errata sheet has 6 pages of problems, mostly with the MSSP and ECCP. Does anyone have experience with these new parts (18F4520, etc.) and can calm my fears. Remember how long it took to get the 18F452 working!?! Surprised

Also, I'll add another gripe, Microchip has confirmed that none of the new parts are available in the PLCC package. That package is (was?) nice because it is SMT, there are sockets available that fit the same foot print, and there are emulator adapters that transition from the DIP package to the PLCC. Their story is that they are having a difficulty sourcing the lead frame, and there are problems with socket reliability.

It looks like those of us with emulators will now need to purchase the Device Adapters and Transition Sockets, and dedicate a prototype to development. Mad

Just blowing off steam. Confused

Charlie
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, but you can still get older parts such as the 16c54.
I checked a couple US distributors, http://www.digikey.com
and http://www.future-active.com and they both have it.
So I assume that Microchip is still making it.

The only one I know of that has been truly discontinued
is the 16C84. If you go to the web page for it, here:
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1335&dDocName=en010180
they say "Obsolete/EOL".

The 18F452 is in stock at Digikey with over 9500 pieces available
in the PLCC package.

The 18F4520 is also in stock, but only 3 package types are available
and the highest stock quantity is 124 pieces.

I hope this provides some reassurance.

Re: Mature PICs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:35 pm     Reply with quote

There are some good new features: PIC184520 allows three breakpoints... This should make a debug session much easier.

Bad issue is has the new EUSART which has many problems, at low xtal F there are serious issues with using high Baud rates(PIC18F6621), Auto Baud is also a problem, last time I talked with mc they told me to find a chip with the older uart. !

So along as they keep making pin compatible chips I'm not too worried.

For anyone buying small quantities of PIC chips, Digikey has a price break at 25pcs. for most PIC's. if you need less than 25 Mouser has the best prices. Mouser does the digikey 25pcs price for 1pcs.
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Mature PICs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:49 am     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
For anyone buying small quantities of PIC chips, Digikey has a price break at 25pcs. for most PIC's. if you need less than 25 Mouser has the best prices. Mouser does the digikey 25pcs price for 1pcs.

Arrow is pretty good too. Right now 18F4520 is about $7 on Arrow and about $11 on D/K.
sjbaxter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:03 am     Reply with quote

Most of my projects have been developed on the 'not reccomended' 18F258. I've since replaced these in my final product with the 18F2580 and 18F2680.

No issues at all apart from a slight cost increase, the devices were selected after I had commited to PCB design. But the benifits far out-way that:

I now have 64K of Flash to play with, more RAM, Enhanced CAN with more receive/transmit buffers, UARTS that support LIN, 3 breakpoints (which has been a lifesaver in debugging my latest code changes) .... and all in a pin to pin compatible package.

Yes, the new devices do have issues and hence more errata info. But you do get a lot more functionality and options for your money.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:28 am     Reply with quote

That's great untill you (me!) develop based on a 18F458, find that at the end of development that device is no longer recommended for new designs. Just switch to the 4580..... but now I have to buy a £300 upgrade for my compiler as my version does not support the 4580!
If I were cynical I might suggest that Microchip & CCS were in cahoots over this!
sjbaxter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:30 pm     Reply with quote

SLomas, your development cycle must be very big !! My compiler (PCH) supported the newer microchip replacements long before they announced that the 18F2x8 series 'were not recommended for new designs'.

Anyway, the PCH upgrade is only £90 ish (for a one of buy) and I've only done an upgrade every 18 months (rather than the rolling maintenence contract) and I haven't missed anything.

It sounds like its time you invested in some upto date tools Surprised

You should try and keep up with microsoft's MSDN subscription if you think a single compiler is expensive. Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:09 pm     Reply with quote

My development cycle is not big, I'm just slow!
I thought I was being clever buying the PCWH version to get support for all sizes of PIC & debugging with the ICDU40, but this means a bigger bill to upgrade. I can see the sense in buying the individual compilers & renewing as & when required as you suggest.
My version 3.207 does not support the 4580, though it does support some of the devices of a similar era like the 2620, though I notice that the fuses are not calculated correctly - this version must have been a work in progress for this range of PICs.
I guess that I must check the Microchip mature list more often and write my bugs faster in future!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: