CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PCWH vs. PCH -- which one?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
valemike

PCWH vs. PCH -- which one?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:55 am     Reply with quote

I use PCWH at work, and personally own PCH, both of which have recently expired subscriptions.

I'm debating myself whether I should renew my PCH subscription, or upgrade to PCWH. Here's my habits:
1. I only use 18F chips now.
2. I only use Microchip's ICD-2. (Yes I own CCS's ICD, but barely use it).
3. I never use CCS's development environment, since i find it easier to stay with MPLAB and simply link the ccs compiler to it.

Sure, it looks easy and cheaper to simply stay with PCH.
** But has anyone really noticed a more efficient compiler optimization with the PCWH version on a PIC18 than with PCH? This is the only issue running through my mind right now.

Thanks for any feedback?
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:32 am     Reply with quote

Its the same compiler. Why would there be any difference in code optimization? I would go with the PCH update. That is all I use. Well I do have a PCM update as well. Never had or needed PCWH.

Re: PCWH vs. PCH -- which one?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:22 am     Reply with quote

valemike wrote:
I use PCWH at work, and personally own PCH, both of which have recently expired subscriptions.

I'm debating myself whether I should renew my PCH subscription, or upgrade to PCWH. Here's my habits:
1. I only use 18F chips now.
2. I only use Microchip's ICD-2. (Yes I own CCS's ICD, but barely use it).
3. I never use CCS's development environment, since i find it easier to stay with MPLAB and simply link the ccs compiler to it.

Sure, it looks easy and cheaper to simply stay with PCH.
** But has anyone really noticed a more efficient compiler optimization with the PCWH version on a PIC18 than with PCH? This is the only issue running through my mind right now.

Thanks for any feedback?

No difference the compiler is PCH

I also have ICD-2 and ICD-U40 and prefer the CCS IDE with ICD-U40 for debugging. The ICD-40 does not equire external power, so it's tidier on the bench.

If you only have the ICD I assume it's the serial version, in which case I understand why you prefer the ICD-2.
MikeValencia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:34 am     Reply with quote

I have the USB version as well, but just have gotten used to the big Microchip "hockey puck" shaped ICD2.

Anyways, reason why i asked in the original post is because i thought there were certain compiler optimization settings i can set in the PCHW which i know i don't have in the pch. Then again, i never played with such settings.

Looks like i'll get the cheaper upgrade then.

For those users of the USB-based CCS ICD (ICDU40?), does it display floating point properly in the IDE? I know with MPLAB it doesn't.
Konrad

compiler differences
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

from the help file:

#OPT

Syntax: #OPT n

Elements: All Devices: n is the optimization level 0-9

PIC18XXX: n is the optimization level 0-11

Purpose:
The optimization level is set with this directive. This setting applies to the entire program and may appear anywhere in the file. Optimization level 5 will set the level to be the same as the PCB, PCM, and PCH standalone compilers. The PCW default is 9 for full optimization. PIC18XXX devices may utilize levels 10 and 11 for extended optimization. Level 9 may be used to set a PCW compile to look exactly like a PCM compile for example. It may also be used if an optimization error is suspected to reduce optimization.

When I checked (a long time ago) there are slight differences with different optimisations i.e. compiling with PCM and PCW but in the couple of programs I tried, were fairly small in the number differences in the number of instructions.
If I start compiling a project in MPLAB I tend to stick to it and if I start compiling a project in PCW I stick with that - just in case.

In my opinion the better IDE purley depends on your project.
Are you debugging lots of strings / structures - PCWH is good
Are you debugging raw data / bitstreams / interrupts - MPLAB is good
valemike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:07 am     Reply with quote

Well i do debug a lot of strings, and a lot of floating point. But i just dump everything to RS232/Hyperterminal.
CharlieGill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:49 am     Reply with quote

Interesting information here.

I too have a CCS ICD-U that I bought, and then put on the shelf when the documentation specified that it wouked only with 5V designs. I rarely if ever use 5V anymore as a significant percentage of the peripheral chips needed are 2.7 - 3.6V only.

I keep hoping that MPLab will improve in it's support for complex variables but just live with what is available for now. Maybe I'll try the CCS IDE just to see what it can do.

Does CCS have a 3V ICD? Does the CCS IDE support the ICD2?

Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: