CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

simulator question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
treitmey

simulator question
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:13 am     Reply with quote

I know this is off topic but,...
Anyone know of a GOOD simulator software for the PIC?

I want some software that runs on the PC, loads up my PIC hex code and simulates it, and I want to see where the bulk of the PIC uP time is spent.

It would allso be neat to the the pin status at different times in the code.

I wouldn't normally ask this type of question in THIS forum, but I trust you guys.

tjr

Last edited by treitmey on Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas Blake

Mathias
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:39 am     Reply with quote

Microchip has an emulation advantage over some other types because they make MCU package versions that bond out the internal signals. So a hardware emulator can be pretty cheap.

I use the Clearview Mathias emulator. It's serially controlled and it takes a few moments to load the program down the serial cable after a build, but otherwise I'm quite happy with it. It can be powered by a wart or directly from the target chip socket.

There's a base unit, a family unit (14-bit, etc.) and a member module (16F87x, 12C67x, etc.). Advantages: You don't have to buy all the member modules at once. Disadvantage: You do have to buy as many member modules as you have PIC types.

Also, there's a trace/timing module that you don't have to buy but it sure comes in handy.

The biggest gripe I have about the system is that the included IDE doesn't support syntax coloring.

You can get the unit from digikey.com or from tech-tools.com

Good luck!
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

I think he means simulator instead of emulator
treitmey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

Yes simulator. I was a little wishy/washy on that.

I want a PC SOFTWARE only solution.
pop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:47 pm     Reply with quote

I work with 2 simulators:

1. MPLAB (e.g. MPSIM comes with MPLAB)

I use MPLAB5.7 although some later (MPLAB MPSIM) 6.XX versions like 6.4 are reported to be stable. Judging from Microchip's forum there are apparently still many unresolved problems with MPLAB 7.00 simulator, although it's simulator has many great features and is very user friendly.

However, for PIC16F877 I find MPSIM5.7 adequate. It traces through the code, indicating what each variable contains and how much time is spent in each function. Also, it supports asynchronous and synchronous digital inputs.
The only major problem that I had with it (though I finally found a work-around) was its file based stimulus. I could not simulate a 10 bit ADC using file stimulus although 8 bit ADC values seemed to work fine. However, this version of MPLAB allows you to write your own values into registers during program simulation, and that is how you can simulate a 10bit ADC.

Finally, it allows you to see which of your port pins are high or low. There are some things you can't do with it (very rare) and they are indicated in the help file.

2. Although MPLAB is free and is perhaps a best simulator, I find that it's user interface is not as friendly as that of PIC Simulator IDE.

The PIC Simulator IDE is available for download at www.oshonsoft.com (30 day trial) and if you find that you like it, then it costs only $20 U.S to purchase it with all of its future updates.

The PIC simulator IDE is more limited in functionallity of 16F devices but it does have modules like an LCD screen, digital scope and function generators. I find it especially useful for programming a LCD output.

Anyway my suggestion is to start with MPLAB first cause it's free.
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:35 pm     Reply with quote

I have been using Proteus VSM. There's a demo you can try at
http://www.labcenter-electronics.com/download/prodemo_download.htm#professional

The support has been very good. Also. they are coming out with many new PIC18 models soon. Currently they support some PIC 10's, 12's, 16's and 18's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: