CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Trying to run a 5v PIC chip from a 12v car

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick

Trying to run a 5v PIC chip from a 12v car
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:58 pm     Reply with quote

I am trying to get my PIC chip to run off a 12v car power source. I have a 7805 voltage regulator but I dont think it can handle the current load from the battery. When I hook it up to a 12v battery the PIC goes crazy. Im only able to take the voltage regulator to about 7 volts before everything starts getting speratic.

Thanks,

Nick
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:20 pm     Reply with quote

Look up the datasheet for the LTC1625. It has a chapter on dealing with automotive "so called 12V" power suplies (p.16 "Automotive considerations").

Good Luck,
Nick
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:28 am     Reply with quote

You refer to taking the 'voltage regulator to about 7v'. This presumably implies you are testing from a bench supply?. If so, you need to look at what current is being drawn, but my immediate suspicion, is that you have not got the required HF capacitor properly fitted close to the regulator chip, and it is breaking into oscillation. Most regulators are prone to this (they are very high gain amplifiers internally).
Provided you are not drawing too much current, and have an adequate heatsink, the 7805, should be able to deliver the voltage you require, _but_ (and it is a major 'but'), you need to look very carefully indeed at the design of the decoupling, and input protection of the circuit. Automotive power systems, are quite 'unfriendly' areas, and the 78 regulators on their own, can have trouble handling some of the high voltage spikes that can be present on the 12v supply. In general, you should also look very carefully at how you clamp and protect every signal that connects to the chip, if the system is to be reliable...

Best Wishes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:45 am     Reply with quote

Hiya,

The LM7805 should handle upto 35v input, i've used 100's of them in the the same situation. Even the titchy 100mA versions shouldn't get warm.

If you want to have an elegant solution use a LM2575 SMPSU (National Semi.), uses a few more components, but draws almost no current at 5v (app. dependent) which could be useful if the car is stationary.

Just a point to note, automotive 12VDC isn't 12VDC, whilst the battery is charging (engine on), it should be a healthy ~14.5VDC.

Hope it work out for you.
SherpaDoug

Re: Trying to run a 5v PIC chip from a 12v car
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:02 am     Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
I am trying to get my PIC chip to run off a 12v car power source. I have a 7805 voltage regulator but I dont think it can handle the current load from the battery. When I hook it up to a 12v battery the PIC goes crazy. Im only able to take the voltage regulator to about 7 volts before everything starts getting speratic.

Thanks,

Nick

Does this imply things work OK below 7 volts? If so you probably have something wired wrong. The regulator should just start functioning around 7V.
How much current does your 5V circuit draw?
Can you describe (or provide a link to) your circuit? It should be something like the Fairchild LM7805 datasheet figure 5.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:43 pm     Reply with quote

yea I just hooked it up, i didnt add the caps. I will fix that.

Thank you so much for the help.

Nick
menonash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:06 am     Reply with quote

If you plan to use in an automobile, then be warned about load-dumps that will fry your device. Use a TVS of some sort at the input before the regulator to suppress these spikes caused by collapsing fields during transients.
Charlie U

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:23 am     Reply with quote

Take a look at the National LM2940 series regulators. They are designed for automotive use and can tolerate reverse battery and momentary high voltage that is generated by the load dump. They do require larger input and output caps than other families to keep them stable, but it can be a small price to pay for robustness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: