CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Pump failure detect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djpark

Pump failure detect
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:21 pm     Reply with quote

I am required to develop a PIC based controller to monitor the status of submersible pump status and switch over to secondary unit in case of pump failure.

The pumps are typically 200W - 800W running at 240V and I am not allowed (actually not possible) to attach a sensor to the pump. So I am considering the current flow of the AC power source to the pump.

1) Is it actually workable to detect the pump (rotary motor I presume) failure by measuring the current flow? I have been thinking that if the motor gets jammed, the current would increase.

2) What is the simple (and cheap, of course safe as well) way to monitor the AC current flow?

Any advices would be appreciated.

-- dj
ajt

Pump Failure Detect
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:53 pm     Reply with quote

I did this on a recent project but with a 12V pump. I monitored pressure in the line as well as current the pump motor was drawing.

Monitoring the pressure is fairly easy as there are multiple pressure transducers available including surface mout varieties. Honeywell makes a good line of these and other sensors.

Pump Failure Detect
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:38 am     Reply with quote

I am developing exactly the same thing using a PIC, I am quite ready with the circuit, some programming still required (the main functions are working OK: failure if jammed, failure if running dry, failure if running to long, etc. I am working on some extra fancy functions, like power outage alarm, remote error reporting, journal logging, total wattage metering, optional LCD, etc.)
I used a Hall-effect current sensor from Allegro (ACS752SCA-050) to measure the momentary current the motor is drawing from the AC line without galvanic connection to it. This part is not very cheap (about 5-6 USD) but I found it to be the safest and reliable method to measure current in an isolated way.
I suppose (hope) we are not in the same country (i.e. not competing on the same market), I am feeling inclined to advise you further if you find it useful.
dyeatman

Split Core Type
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:16 am     Reply with quote

The CR Magnetics model 3110 is a split core type current sensor I have used quite a bit. It works very well for me in House power sensing applications.

http://www.crmagnetics.com/newprod/splitco.asp
djpark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:15 am     Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for many good advices. I will be happy to hear more.

Though what we are trying to produce may do similar jobs, I believe that where it is applied to will also be very different. BTW, I am in Malaysia.

-- dj
libor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:37 pm     Reply with quote

Regarding your first question of detecting a jam failure by measuring current:
yes, it is possible, though you should tune your firmware to a power limit adjusted to a particular type of motor (wattage), and filter out (neglect) the increased current when the motor starts. I made my PIC software to use field adjustable current limits, so the installer can adjust the pump monitor to the type of pump it is installed with.
I could even tune my software to detect the different current levels when the pump was pumping water or just running dry (rarely occurs that the floating switch stucks in a closed position, this is also a failure condition, lacking the cooling water would cause motor meltdown after a certain time)
djpark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:20 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Roughly how many percent of the current difference do I expect when the pump fails?

-- dj
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: