CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Header file for the 16F628A?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arrow

Header file for the 16F628A?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:46 pm     Reply with quote

Hi

I have quite an old version of the PICC compiler.
I need to program the 16F628A.
Could someone please tell me how to obtain the header files for this chip (which is not in my library)?

Thank you
arrow
Ttelmah

Re: Header file for the 16F628A?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:54 am     Reply with quote

arrow wrote:
Hi

I have quite an old version of the PICC compiler.
I need to program the 16F628A.
Could someone please tell me how to obtain the header files for this chip (which is not in my library)?

Thank you
arrow

This type of question has been answered many times. The problem is that just having the 'header file', _won't_ make the compiler handle a chip it does not know about. If the chip is a 'derivative version' of one that your compiler can handle (so for instance, has all the I/O and registers, exactly matching an existing chip, but just has a different amount of RAM/ROM), then the device editor may allow you to achieve compatibility, but in general, the only way to add a chip that is different, is to buy a compiler upgrade...

Best Wishes
arrow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:02 am     Reply with quote

Hi Ttelmah

Thank you for your reply.

I have one more question, before I have to decide: so the only compatability issue with the new header file is that the pins should match another (older) chip?
Should I worry about anything else besides the pin compatability?

All the best
arrow
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:01 am     Reply with quote

arrow wrote:
Hi Ttelmah

Thank you for your reply.

I have one more question, before I have to decide: so the only compatability issue with the new header file is that the pins should match another (older) chip?
Should I worry about anything else besides the pin compatability?

All the best
arrow

No.
The 'pins' have practically nothing to do with it. It is the peripheral 'set' that matters. If (for instance), you had a compiler that understood the 16F877, but did not handle the 873 (not likely, but just and example), then you could write code for the 877, and either manually restrict yourself to avoid the extra pins, and the extra ROM/RAM space, or with the device editor, turn these features 'off'. However, if instead you had the 16F84, and the 16F628, which are basically 'pin compatible', the problem is that the latter has a whole crop of different internal peripherals, and the compiler would not know about these...

Best Wishes
Humberto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:35 am     Reply with quote

The 16F628 and 16F628A have both ICSP (In Circuit Serial Programming) capabilities but only the 16F628A support debug mode for debugging with ICD´s. Shocked

best wishes, Very Happy

Humberto
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: