CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Interruption into an interrupt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YulL

Interruption into an interrupt
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:35 am     Reply with quote

Hello,

Could you tell me if it is possible that an interrupt generated by the serial port of my PIC16LF873A should be in a function that is about the interrupt? For example into :

#int_rda
void serial_isr()
{ ... }

Best regards Rolling Eyes
Ttelmah

Re: Interruption into an interrupt
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:01 am     Reply with quote

YulL wrote:
Hello,

Could you tell me if it is possible that an interrupt generated by the serial port of my PIC16LF873A should be in a function that is about the interrupt? For example into :

#int_rda
void serial_isr()
{ ... }

Best regards Rolling Eyes

No.
The sequence is:
In 'main body' code.
Interrupts enabled.
Event occurs, triggering interrupt.
Global interrupt enable flag is disabled by the hardware, and the interrupt 'dispatcher' is called.
Interrupt dispatcher saves the system registers.
Interrupt dispatcher scans the interrupt flags to detect which interrupt occured, and calls the corresponding subroutine.
Subroutine returns, and the 'interrupt flag' for this interrupt is cleared.
Interrupt dispatcher restores the system registers.
System returns from the dispatcher, and in the same instruction, re-enables the global interrupt flag.

So once the system starts to respond to an interrupt, the global interrupt flag is cleared, preventing an interrupt from inside an interrupt.
In the case of the default CCS code, since the specific interrupt flag for the event that is being 'serviced', is cleared at the end of the routine, if there has been a second trigger during the service routine, this will be 'lost'. You can improve this behaviour, by adding the keyword 'noclear' to the interrupt handler declaration, _and clearing the interrupt flag yourself, at the start of the handler_. If this is done, a second interrupt in the duration of the handler, will leave the interrupt flag set, and when the code returns to the main routine, the very next instruction, the interrupt handler will be called a second time.

It is also important to understand that there is no 'timestamp' associated with the different interrupt flags. So if (for instance), you have a timer interrupt that triggers in the interval between the serial interrupt firing, and the global dispatcher checking the flags, and the timer flag is checked before the serial flag, then it is the timer interrupt that will be serviced, and the serial interrupt will have to wait till this is complete, and the code returns to the main routine, when the interrupt handler will be called again. The #priority statement controls the order that the flags are checked. Potentially, if an interrupt is called very frequently, and the code is fairly long, this can result in lower priority interrupts never being reached.
This is why it is _vital_, that the user does not touch the global interrupt enable, inside an interrupt event. Doing this, could allow the code to interrupt back into 'itself', and destroy the contents of the system registers, leading to chaos...

The 'exception' to all the above, is with the 18 series chips (doesn't therefore apply to you), where there is a second 'high priority' interrupt that can interrupt a lower priority event. This has a lot of 'caveats'. It is your responsibility to save the required registers into another location in this handler (the system only saves the very 'core' registers automatically), and on many of the chips, there is a fault in the hardware, making using this interrupt for 'asynchronous' events (triggers that are not governed by the processors master clock), very dangerous. Suppport for this type of interrupt, is very poorly covered in the current compilers.

Best Wishes
YulL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:26 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick answer! You wrote a book Laughing
I've learned a lot with the reading of your post...
But it is not so complicated...

I used :
#int_rda
void serial_isr()
{ disable_interrupts(INT_RDA);
enable_interrupts(INT_RDA);
}

and I'm going to try :

#int_rda
void serial_isr()
{...}

Am I alright?... Embarassed
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:57 am     Reply with quote

Yes, no need to disable/enable ints inside of the handler.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: