CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Radio beacon with as PIC

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Radio beacon with as PIC
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:51 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,
I want to make a radio beacon / security tracking type device using a PIC, I have gathered all the PIC parts I need including the CCS compiler but I am overwhelmed by the RF side of things, can anyone help?

Spec.

UK / Europe Legal RF (433mhz I think is OK)
programable frequency (can be a set that are selected from)
3.5v
1km range (I think this equates to about 100mw)
Simple drop in module ideally.

Thanks

Pete
newguy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:21 pm     Reply with quote

Linx has quite a number of different modules available, at quite an assortment of frequencies and output powers. Their modules range from "drop-in" pre-certified types to basic building blocks.

Digi-key carries their products, and they're quite reasonably priced.

http://www.linxtechnologies.com/
drh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:00 pm     Reply with quote

Look at www.rfsolutions.co.uk

Yet more questions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:50 am     Reply with quote

I am hitting brick walls looking for my RF module, I have started to ask companies via email for such a device, but I would like to ask you guys if I'm barking up the wrong tree with this spec.

Range 2miles urban, 10 miles open
Programmable frequency (can be selectable from a set of say five pre-set freq’s)
Easy connection / programmable via MCU
License exempt UK/Europe
3.5v ideally

Can anyones say "you will not find such a device" or "yes this is acceptable, and if you keep looking / asking I'm sure you will find one"
Ttelmah

Re: Yet more questions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:55 am     Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
I am hitting brick walls looking for my RF module, I have started to ask companies via email for such a device, but I would like to ask you guys if I'm barking up the wrong tree with this spec.

Range 2miles urban, 10 miles open
Programmable frequency (can be selectable from a set of say five pre-set freq’s)
Easy connection / programmable via MCU
License exempt UK/Europe
3.5v ideally

Can anyones say "you will not find such a device" or "yes this is acceptable, and if you keep looking / asking I'm sure you will find one"

The range is very dependant on the aerials used. Warwick Industrial electronics do a couple of modules in the license free bands, that will meet this spec with the right aerials (http://www.radiotelemetry.co.uk/Radio-Modems.htm), but the prices may scare you. Some of the rfsolutions modules, can do the range, but the high power ones do not offer the ability to change the frequency. Your list of requirements, makes this quite expensive (remember that as soon as you have 'selectable' frequencies, the unit has to contain a frequency synthesiser, as well as a crystal, and that to remain 'license free', there are tight restrictions on the power allowed). A lot depends on how often you need to send data, and the rates required. For instance it is often cheaper, to use a cellular phone module, and the SMS service, if communication is relatively 'low rate', than to fiddle around with aligning antennae, and using license free modules.

Best Wishes
SLomas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:23 am     Reply with quote

You're going to have trouble meeting your requirements.
The European license free bands have tight limits on the output power to levels that will make it almost imposible to acheive the ranges you desire.
Remember that manufacturers often quote unreasonable range figures.
You will not reliably get the range you want, especially as most of the regulations for license free also restrict the transmitter aerial efficiency.
Most license free modules are made to a price and this is achieved at the expense of features such as selectable frequency.

I have in the past spoken to John Fairall at RFSolutions who I have found to be most helpful. I suggest that you speak with the manufacturers directly & explain your requirements.

Steve.
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:25 am     Reply with quote

If you want to stay in the license-free band, I suggest using spread-spectrum transceiver modules. There are several which will meet your range requirements. I am currently using one from Aerocomm and so far am pleased with the reliability in harsh indoor industrial environments. Another company I strongly recommend is Maxstream.

Using spread-spectrum technology will give much more reliabillity than using a single-frequency system.

Most modules are easy to interface to a PIC with simple serial commands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: