CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

RS-232 with Compass---the simple question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiromasakoh

RS-232 with Compass---the simple question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:46 pm     Reply with quote

Hello everyone....

I am a beginer of PIC microcontroller

Now I have a project which I must use RS-232 to read data from HMR-3300 digital compass...It's output ASCII format..

I want use RS-232 to receive compass data then trancelate to PC(hyperterm) to look these data..

but I don't know use what command to do it ..

Please help me and give me some suggestion

Thank you very much

Kind Regards

Herry
Ttelmah

Re: RS-232 with Compass---the simple question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:21 am     Reply with quote

hiromasakoh wrote:
Hello everyone....

I am a beginer of PIC microcontroller

Now I have a project which I must use RS-232 to read data from HMR-3300 digital compass...It's output ASCII format..

I want use RS-232 to receive compass data then trancelate to PC(hyperterm) to look these data..

but I don't know use what command to do it ..

Please help me and give me some suggestion

Thank you very much

Kind Regards

Herry

There is quite a lot of work in this, it really is a fairly 'hard' project to start with. Unfortunately, what you describe would be quite hard to do, since properly controlling the HMR, requires use of both the RS232 TX, and RX lines. This then implies that either a seperate UART would need to be added (or the use of one of the larger PIC's with two UARTs), or you are going to have to rely on 'bit banged' software serial for the link to the PC. This imposes some very tight timing constraints on the code. It would be _much_ simpler, to use the SPI port on the HMR module instead. Using this port, you would only need to send a 'H' command to the HMR, and would receive back the heading from the compass module, that can then be printed to the PC. Otherwise, I have to ask 'why add the PIC'?. The HMR, after a couple of fairly simple initialisation commands to set the baud rate, allready returns the serial data in ASCII text format, that is directly readable by hyperterm (with a suitable RS232 transceiver)....

Best Wishes
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:46 am     Reply with quote

Can you set the HMR3300 to periodically spew it data on its own? Then you can use one UART to read from the compass and talk to the PC. Even if that won't work in the final application it might be a place to start.
Generally the compasses I use in oceanographic gear are set to asynchronously send their data at a 1Hz rate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:31 pm     Reply with quote

SherpaDoug wrote:
Can you set the HMR3300 to periodically spew it data on its own? Then you can use one UART to read from the compass and talk to the PC. Even if that won't work in the final application it might be a place to start.
Generally the compasses I use in oceanographic gear are set to asynchronously send their data at a 1Hz rate.

Yes, The HMR, can be set like this. However it needs to 'see' a transmission to trigger it's baud rate detection. The easiest way, is going to be to have the outgoing hardware UART, driving the PC, the incoming hardware UART, used for the HMR, and use a software port to configure the chip. However there is still a lot of work to do, since he will have to 'parse' the incoming strings to get the required data, and generate his required outgoing strings. It really strikes, that he would be better starting out a lot simpler, and cracking basic PIC to PC comms first. It is a fairly simple project as a whole, but not an easy one to 'start' with...

Best Wishes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:00 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
SherpaDoug wrote:

Yes, The HMR, can be set like this. However it needs to 'see' a transmission to trigger it's baud rate detection. The easiest way, is going to be to have the outgoing hardware UART, driving the PC, the incoming hardware UART, used for the HMR, and use a software port to configure the chip. However there is still a lot of work to do, since he will have to 'parse' the incoming strings to get the required data, and generate his required outgoing strings. It really strikes, that he would be better starting out a lot simpler, and cracking basic PIC to PC comms first. It is a fairly simple project as a whole, but not an easy one to 'start' with...

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: