CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Load cell amplifier IC required or a high resolution ADC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arun

Load cell amplifier IC required or a high resolution ADC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:34 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anyone suggest some Load cell amplifier ICs, I tried using a MCP 3208 ADC directly with the load cell bridge arms , I find the output very low , as low as 1mV.

A higher resolution ADC might do , Microchip seems to have reached the limit with 12 bit ADCs.

I found some like CS 5520, CS 5516, but these are very expensive and sophisticated to use.

thanks
arun
Will Reeve

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:55 am     Reply with quote

I am using a AD8551 opamp as a load cell amplifer into a 10bit ADC (don't need the higher resolution as you seem to). Are you sure 12bits is not high enough?

Will
sar

Load Cell
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:23 am     Reply with quote

Check out this page using INA125P instrumentation amplifier.

http://psas.pdx.edu/LoadCellAmp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

We use both LTC2408 24bit A/D or INA125U (nice as it has built in programmable reference).

Woz
Humberto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:55 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,

I used the MCP3204 (4Chnnl) 12 bit ADC) wich is the young brother of the MCP3208
(8Chnnl) 12 Bit ADC and it function like a shame, but I noticed that for a good behaviour,
it needs a low impedance signal source. (say < 1K). Reading your comments,
I guess that you have a big impedance mismatch. I would think in an instrumentation
ampliffier as front end to get a good improvement matching the Load Cell with a low
impedance ADC.
I had to work around the MCP3208.C driver because it doesn´t work properly.

Best wishes,

Humberto
Kenny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:05 pm     Reply with quote

Maxim have cheap single-supply instrumentation amplifiers suitable for strain gauge
applications like load cells.

MAX4462HESA has a fixed gain of 100.
I have used lots of these to amplify the signals from strain gauges on composite materials.
http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX4460-MAX4462.pdf

In your case if you really only have a 1mV signal from the load cell you will need a gain
of at least 1000 to get into the volts range. Gains greater than 1000 are generally not used
because of problems with noise and drift.
I suspect that you are using only a limited part of the load cell's range.
The MAX4194 is another one I have used with metals.
http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX4194-MAX4197.pdf
The gain can be set with a single resistor.

Both of these have a reference input that can be used to offset the output if the load cell
is used for both tension and compression.

I would recommend that if possible use a load cell more appropriate to the expected load
so as to get a bigger signal, and therefore a better signal/noise ratio.
Will Reeve

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:59 am     Reply with quote

The reference design for the AD8551 (from the datasheet) gives 0 to 40mV from the strain guage (running off 4v) and gives a 0 to 4V output. Perfect for the PIC. I guess you need anothe x4 gain to get your 0 to 1mV up to 4V which might give you some noise problems, layout would be quite critical.

Will
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:58 pm     Reply with quote

I had a similar problem recently. My load cell had a differential output (S+ and S-) of +/- 200 mV full swing. I ended up using an instrumentation amplifier LT1167. Keep in mind though - most in-amos do not have a rail-to-rail output. If you need the R2R output - make you own "in-amp" out of R2R op-amps (such as LMC6462, LM6132).

Just my $.02.

Nick
dave

Load cell bridges
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:41 am     Reply with quote

As you will probably know most load cell bridges are 350 ohm impedance, the usual standard for load cells is 2mV/volt, and most instrumentation has its own onboard 10 volt load cell bridge power supply so for full working range output of the load cell with 10 volts is 0-20mV.
Regards Dave
rRolf Meier

LTC2408 Driver
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:48 pm     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
We use both LTC2408 24bit A/D or INA125U (nice as it has built in programmable reference).

Woz
Where did you get (buy) a Windows driver for the LTC2408 ?
Thank you and regards from Belgium Rolf
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Re: LTC2408 Driver
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:27 am     Reply with quote

rRolf Meier wrote:
Where did you get (buy) a Windows driver for the LTC2408 ?

Hi Rolf,

LTC2408 has an SPI interface, which isn't intended for direct interfacing with PC. However, SPI can be bit-banged on the parallel port. That requires only a parallel port driver. Here's an app note by Maxim explaining how it can be done: http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/an_pk/1142. You can also get results by googling "spi parallel port".

Another alternative is to buy a USB to SPI host adaptor, such as Aardvark made by TotalPhase, or USB-8451 made by National Instruments.

- Nick
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: