CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

plastic enclosure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick

plastic enclosure
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:49 pm     Reply with quote

I have found many plastic enclosures on mouser.com. I want to use one of those enclosers and modify it so I can use two dials, DB9 port, and lcd screen. I dont know where to start. I believe that using a drimel with drill press would give me some very nasty results. I'm open to any ideas.

Nick
John Morley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:58 pm     Reply with quote

Nick,

Well, you're basically on the right track. You could take the enclosure to a machine shop and they could do it with a CNC milling machine, but you'd need to do a lot to justify the price. For small quantities and prototypes I mark the outline on the plastic (old PC angle brackets are great for D-cutouts) and use a small drill bit (about 1/8") to go all around the marked line just inside the line. Finish out to the line with a file to make a (mostly) clean and neat opening! Not too fun, but it does work!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:07 pm     Reply with quote

Your life will be a lot easier if you choose the enclosure with separet front and/or back plates. That way you will not have to set the whole enclosure in the vice. Also, if you screw up a plate you will not screw up the rest of the enclosure.

Nick
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:10 pm     Reply with quote

By the way, if you're local to the SF Bay Area, I might be able to help you out - I have a manual mill and a drill press.

nick@ismtech.com

Sincerely,
Nick
newguy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:29 pm     Reply with quote

Nick,

Take it from one who knows - if you use a dremel, don't try to work all the way to the edge of the cutout. Get close, but not too close. One slip, and the enclosure is hooped. Finish up with a file, and the results are actually quite good.

There are some other tricks - like trying to avoid rectangular cutouts whenever possible. It's easier to drill a clean hole that to file a rectangular one.

Use a good graphics package (I use CorelDraw, but any package would work) to lay out the front panel/connectors/whatever. Print it out, place the paper over the enclosure, and carefully cut around the intended holes with a really sharp x-acto knife. Mark the center of circular holes with a +. Once that's done, have at with the drill, dremel, and the files.

For placing text on the enclosure, go get some avery self-adhesive labels from any office supply store. The white ones look good on a black enclosure, but the clear ones look awesome on a grey enclosure. Print out your front panel on one of these sheets, then stick it on. If you let the label dry for an hour and use the sheet's backing to rub it on, you won't get any smudging of the letters. Then cover this with a clear laminating sheet (again, from an office supply store). Use an x-acto to carefully cut out around your openings for the lcd, buttons, whatever, and you're done. You'd be surprised how professional it looks when you're done.
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:03 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the great tips!

Nick
bdring

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:51 am     Reply with quote

I have used hand punches from Greenlee www.greenlee.com

Look under holemaking products. They have all the d-sub connector sizes. Some plastics may crack, but it has always worked for me
rnielsen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:31 am     Reply with quote

One way to get a nice straight cut, for a display, is to take some sort of straight edge, like a metal ruler, and use the back side of an exacto knive to 'scrape' the plastic away, layer by layer. I've done this many times and it makes the edge look nice. It takes a little bit of time but it is easier than trying to cut through the entire thing with the sharp side. Otherwise, about the only thing you can do is drill holes around the edge of the cut-out and then clean it up with a file.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: