CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

String Theory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
object01

String Theory
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:58 pm     Reply with quote

This is a kind of nebulous question... I'm trying to improve my understanding of how strings are best included in a program. I've been through a lot of posts on the subject but am having trouble assimilating them all.

Part 1
Code:
char myString[] = "0123456789";

void myFunction(char stringChar) {
  // ...
}

void main {
  myFunction(myString);
}

What are the RAM/ROM implications of the above? Am I correct in thinking that,
  1. myString is stored in RAM
  2. There is no considerable overhead involved in storing/reading myString

Part 2
Code:
  // ...
}

void main {
  myFunction("0123456789");
}

Am I correct in thinking that:
  1. The string literal in the call to myFunction is stored in ROM
  2. There is a considerable overhead involved in storing/reading the string literal?

Part 3
Code:
char myString1[] = "0123456789";
char myString2[] = "9876543210";
char myStringCat[] = "0123456789\09876543210\0";

Am I correct in thinking that there is more overhead in storing two strings using separate declarations than in using a single declaration and referencing by offset?

Part 4
Code:
void main {
  myFunction_1("0123456789");
  myFunction_2("0123456789");
}

Does the compiler consolidate the two identical string literals into one ROM location?

More as I think of it...

--
Jeff S.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:28 am     Reply with quote

The questions you ask can be answered by compiling a sample
program, and then examining the .LST file and the Program Memory
window in MPLAB.
Ttelmah

Re: String Theory
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:48 am     Reply with quote

object01 wrote:
This is a kind of nebulous question... I'm trying to improve my understanding of how strings are best included in a program. I've been through a lot of posts on the subject but am having trouble assimilating them all.

Part 1
Code:

// ...
}

void main {
  myFunction(myString);
}

What are the RAM/ROM implications of the above? Am I correct in thinking that,
  1. myString is stored in RAM
  2. There is no considerable overhead involved in storing/reading myString

Part 2
Code:
  // ...
}

void main {
  myFunction("0123456789");
}

Am I correct in thinking that:
  1. The string literal in the call to myFunction is stored in ROM
  2. There is a considerable overhead involved in storing/reading the string literal?

Part 3
Code:
char myString1[] = "0123456789";
char myString2[] = "9876543210";
char myStringCat[] = "0123456789\09876543210\0";

Am I correct in thinking that there is more overhead in storing two strings using separate declarations than in using a single declaration and referencing by offset?

Part 4
Code:
void main {
  myFunction_1("0123456789");
  myFunction_2("0123456789");
}

Does the compiler consolidate the two identical string literals into one ROM location?

More as I think of it...

--
Jeff S.

Part 1, has the data stored initially in ROM, and copied into the RAM, when the declaration instruction is reached. The overhead of reading from ROM, depends on the chip. On the latter flash chips, there is a function that allows an individual address to be read for a relatively small overhead. On the older chips, the data instead has to be stored as RETLW instructons, with a table setup and jump.
Part 2, won't work.
This involves trying to pass a string pointer to a function. Pointers are not allowed to constant strings.
You can code to send a constant string to a function, be rewriting the function to accept single characters, rather than a string. Then the compiler automatically codes to fetch each character in turn, and repeatedly call the function.
When constant strings are stored, a 'header' is attached to each string, that handles generating the offset, and fetching the character at this location.
A similar time overhead exists for RAM, when accessing using a pointer, or a variable address. However access to constant locations, is a single instruction. So:
chr=string[4];
Involves just loading the register 'chr', with the contents of a known address in memory.
chr=string[variable], or an access using pointers, involves the compiler taking the address of the start of the string in RAM, adding 'variable' to it, putting this into a processor register to give indirect addressing, and then reading the resultant byte.
Another poster, has suggested looking at the generated assembler, and this is well worth doing.

Best Wishes
bcs99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:20 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah,

Sorry for interrupting but I was wondering if you could explain this statement in more detail?

Quote:

You can code to send a constant string to a function, be rewriting the function to accept single characters, rather than a string. Then the compiler automatically codes to fetch each character in turn, and repeatedly call the function.

Bob
object01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:51 am     Reply with quote

You can find CCS's documentation on the "feature" he's referring to in the CCS Compiler Documentation under "Function Definitions."

It's basically a workaround / special-case CCS implemented to make passing constant strings to functions a possibility.

--
Jeff S.
burnsy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:08 pm     Reply with quote

This might help. A little software I wrote recently which compacts strings for storage and retrieval in PIC ROM.

http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20782

Comments appreciated..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:34 pm     Reply with quote

object01 wrote:

Part 1
Code:

// ...
}

void main {
  myFunction(myString);
}

From ANSI C point this code should not compile at all since there is no conversion from 'char[11]' (or 'char*') that is used in the call to 'char' that is the actual type of the function argument. The code should look more like:

Code:

void myFunction(char *stringChar) {
  // ...
}

void main {
  myFunction((char*)myString);
}

Regards,
Pavel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:37 pm     Reply with quote

BoostC wrote:
From ANSI C point this code should not compile at all since there is no conversion from 'char[11]' (or 'char*') that is used in the call to 'char' that is the actual type of the function argument. The code should look more like:

Well, fair enough, but ANSI also permits pointers to constant strings as function parameters, which PCH doesn't support. The construct mentioned is a workaround that they mention in their documentation.

--
Jeff S.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: