CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Access violation, unable to compile
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chalky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:49 am     Reply with quote

I emailed this one to tech support a couple of weeks ago, whilst i await a reply (!) i thought i'd see if anyone else can offer some work-arounds?

Upon hitting the compile button i get the following error message...

"Access violation at address 00405793 in module "Pcw.exe". Read of address 0000001C".

This prevents any further compiler operation. The same error appears regardless of what files are open (including the supplied example source code files). The computer is running Windows 2000 with service pack 4. This is with IDE version 3.36 and compiler version 3.169. (I'm wondering if SP4 is maybe the culprit but taking it out is not a viable option).

Can you give me any suggestions for getting round this problem? Being unable to run the compiler is a bit inconvenient.

Re: Access violation, unable to compile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:27 am     Reply with quote

:=I emailed this one to tech support a couple of weeks ago, whilst i await a reply (!) i thought i'd see if anyone else can offer some work-arounds?
:=
:=Upon hitting the compile button i get the following error message...
:="Access violation at address 00405793 in module "Pcw.exe". Read of address 0000001C".
:=This prevents any further compiler operation. The same error appears regardless of what files are open (including the supplied example source code files). The computer is running Windows 2000 with service pack 4. This is with IDE version 3.36 and compiler version 3.169. (I'm wondering if SP4 is maybe the culprit but taking it out is not a viable option).
:=Can you give me any suggestions for getting round this problem? Being unable to run the compiler is a bit inconvenient.

Looks like you entered DLL hell which Microsoftee Marketing would probably describe as a free consumer feature of the operating system. Try downloading again and re-installing PCW just in case the download was corrupted. With CCS you can version back in a snap( assuming you archive the downloads) with Microsoft it's never easy. With any software it's often best to assume if it ain't broken now it will be in a future release so being able to version back is critical.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:46 pm     Reply with quote

:=:="Access violation at address 00405793 in module "Pcw.exe". Read of address 0000001C".

:=Looks like you entered DLL hell which Microsoftee Marketing would probably describe as a free consumer feature of the operating system. Try downloading again and re-installing PCW just in case the download was corrupted. With CCS you can version back in a snap( assuming you archive the downloads) with Microsoft it's never easy. With any software it's often best to assume if it ain't broken now it will be in a future release so being able to version back is critical.

I tried the download/reinstall trick first but to no avail. I notice that 372 is now available so might give that a go later but I'm not holding out much hope.

I agree it's most likely the fault of MS but that doesn't really get me very far. Not helped by the fact this is a corporate PC and our IT department aren't overly keen on letting users play with semi-random software.

SW.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:48 am     Reply with quote

:=:=:="Access violation at address 00405793 in module "Pcw.exe". Read of address 0000001C".
:=:=
:=:=Looks like you entered DLL hell which Microsoftee Marketing would probably describe as a free consumer feature of the operating system. Try downloading again and re-installing PCW just in case the download was corrupted. With CCS you can version back in a snap( assuming you archive the downloads) with Microsoft it's never easy. With any software it's often best to assume if it ain't broken now it will be in a future release so being able to version back is critical.
:=I tried the download/reinstall trick first but to no avail. I notice that 372 is now available so might give that a go later but I'm not holding out much hope.
:=I agree it's most likely the fault of MS but that doesn't really get me very far. Not helped by the fact this is a corporate PC and our IT department aren't overly keen on letting users play with semi-random software.
:=SW.

I'm currently using PCWH v3.171 on Win2K SP4, and it works fine.

I did have a similar problem to yours a while ago when using Win98SE, and had to compile from the command line or MPLAB - the CCS IDE always generated protection faults. The problem mysteriously vanished after a while, but I couldn't help thinking that the CCS IDE might have an uninitialised pointer somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:35 am     Reply with quote

:=:=
:=:=:=:="Access violation at address 00405793 in module "Pcw.exe". Read of address 0000001C".
:=I'm currently using PCWH v3.171 on Win2K SP4, and it works fine.
:=I did have a similar problem to yours a while ago when using Win98SE, and had to compile from the command line or MPLAB - the CCS IDE always generated protection faults. The problem mysteriously vanished after a while, but I couldn't help thinking that the CCS IDE might have an uninitialised pointer somewhere.

Thanks for that, at least i know there is a slight chance of me getting this to work at some point. I've now got 3.173 installed but produces exactly the same error. Not quite sure what this indicates as there could be any number of hardware/software peculiarities which are causing it.

I'll give command line a go for now. 2 weeks gone and no reply from support, is that about normal?

SW.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:49 am     Reply with quote

Somewhat sad repeatedly replying to my own thread but never mind.

Problem solved I think. I hadn't noticed that when doing an uninstall via "Add/Remove Programs" it was leaving behind a couple of config files in the directory. Deleting those files and doing another clean install of 173 seems to have got me running. Note I had tried clean install with 169 before, so there is still something odd floating around here.

Oh well, will have to do some work now i guess.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:55 am     Reply with quote

I get access violations in pch.dll all the time in my projects. At the moment I am using the MPLAB to manage my projects. I find that I can add or remove a carriage return at the end of my main code file and all of a sudden it compiles again.

I have no clue why.

I'm running Windows XP, latest version of the MPLAB software, and PCH 3.178
Neutone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:13 am     Reply with quote

Is the PCH compiler selected on the tool bar? If not you will get an error.
Johhny_Moonlight

Access Violations
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:28 am     Reply with quote

I've just upgraded to 3.182 in the hope that the access violation problem would be fixed- it isn't . I've had it appear in past versions on exiting the IDE but now it crashes the compiler. It seems to be related to the size of the code because I can remove blocks of code and it will then compile correctly.

I also get an error message 'Run time error 216' which has been implicated with the SubSeven trojan but I've run several scans with different vetting programs and they all say I'm clean.

I get the same errors on XP proffesional and NT4

I would welcome any help. My only solution at the moment is to fiddle with the code until the compiler is happy.
AtOM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:39 pm     Reply with quote

I just can't take this thing anymore. It just won't compile. I don't have time to fix its problems. I got my own. I'm moving to something else.
Goodbye CCS Crying or Very sad
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:50 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us all know that. Razz
RGBitSlice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:06 pm     Reply with quote

Access Violation, coupled with the Blue Screen of Death --
Must Mean More Micro$oft Madness
Version 3.182 Wont run on 95, wont Install on ME
Brings down 2K-Srvr SP4
Text Cursor doesn't always follow mouse clicks.
#include <non-existant-file> -- No Error Message
but compiler line count is off by 1
ICD Icon silently up-loads code to MCU,
then Flashes "Code is Running"
De-Install, Reg-Clean, re-Install
New and Improved Bugs :(
All of the Icons just vanished and reapeared
Quick Save befor it Cras...
blak3r

reinstall did the trick for me
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:50 am     Reply with quote

I was also getting the access violation error upon installing. Doing a complete reinstall fixed the problem.

By complete i did a manual uninstall (opposed to an automatic) when i selected uninstall from the control panel it gave me the option. Then i went into the registry and deleted some keys for CCS.

I had this problem for a while now i originally bought an edu version of the software and tried installing it on 5 machines

* 2 lab computers using XP
* Then a win98 computer in my lab and got a different error altogether
It successfully installed and compiled on a winxp computer at home.
* Then i tried a different win98 machine in my lab and it worked fine on that and so i used that computer for about one month.

Then i purchased the upgrade and when i still couldn't get it working on the computer i wanted it to i found this thread and the uninstall fixed it.
blak3r

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:16 pm     Reply with quote

Well i went about 3 months with everything working fine. Then one day i suddenly started getting the access violation error again.

I couldn't find the cd-rom to reinstall so i just started using MPLAB's ide.
So far that works fine for compiling. But, i don't think that you can use the ICD in MPlab.

http://www.blakerobertson.com
keno

Access Violation
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:36 pm     Reply with quote

I was just starting to play around with my new CCS USB demo kit (on XP with ICD-S40 and PCM/B 3.181 aand 16F877A) when I got the same message:

"Access violation at address 00405793 in module "Pcw.exe". Read of address 0000001C".

After looking at other posts for an hour and googling for clues, and reinstalling several times: I suddenly noticed that the drop down box on the top CCS compiler bar - where it says "Microchip 14 bit" was BLANK!

I clicked on the drop down box and chose "Microchip 14 bit" and the problem went away. NO MORE - "Access Violation..." - Sounds goofy but the compiler compiled immediately and my USB ex_usb_oscope.c works now.

Keno.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: