CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Float assignation on PIC18F452

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellowik

Float assignation on PIC18F452
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:19 am     Reply with quote

Hello

As i was working on a school project i came across something tricky.

I use PIC 18F452 and MPLAB V8.92 and of course CCS Compiler.

I was trying to use some basic math operations (multiplication) and the result given was completely absurd. I found out there was a problem with my float assignation. Here's how it happens: i declare a float variable, let's say toto, I initialize it to 0.0. I then enter my main.c, in which i give it the value of 20.3 for ex, but then, this gem appears

I tried to see if this was not just a byte order inversion or something like that, but I didn't find anything suspicious.

Have you guys any idea ? If you need any further informations or if this is not clear enough, don't hesitate.

Thank you guys ! Surprised
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:29 am     Reply with quote

You have the float type set incorrectly.

MPLAB can display floats stored as Microchip float32, or as IEEE float32.
The former format was developed by Microchip before IEEE floats appeared to be the most efficient way to store float numbers in the PIC16/18. It is this format that CCS uses (for the PIC16/18).

20.299999 stores in Microchip float32 as 66662283hex.
66662283hex displays as IEEE float32 as 2.716952E23. This is what you are seeing.

Select the properties of your watch.
Select Format.
Change to MCHP float.
Hellowik

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:38 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, we tried to change to MCHP float, but didn't tried the Low to High byte order, and that was the answer.

Thanks again
Hellowik

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:05 am     Reply with quote

Hello again !

It seems the problem is not completly solved. Let me explain.

I am receiving 4 bits from an other card, which, by a union I convert into a float named CurrentSpeed The float has the value expected when displayed in IEEEFloat. However, when I try to myltiply that float by then the result is not what was expected. I tried showing it in the different MCHP float formats but it won't work.

Meanwhile, when I declare my variable toto, initialized to 0.0, declared as float too, the mutlplication works fine...

I feel the difference is that toto is showed as an MCHP FLoat and CurrentSpeed is an IEEE but does that mean you can't multiply IEEE floats ? That seems strange.

Thanks
RF_Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:02 am     Reply with quote

Hellowik wrote:

It seems the problem is not completly solved.

Yes, the problem, as you described it, is completely solved: the debugger was interpreting the Microchip format 32 bit float as an IEEE754 float32. What you are now describing is a different, but related problem.

Quote:

I am receiving 4 bits from an other card, which, by a union I convert into a float named CurrentSpeed The float has the value expected when displayed in IEEEFloat. However, when I try to myltiply that float by then the result is not what was expected. I tried showing it in the different MCHP float formats but it won't work.

No, it won't work. The float you are getting from your other device is most likely an IEEE754 float32. AS you now know, CCS C code cannot understand that format. You have to convert the IEEE float to the Microchip format. CCS provides code to do that: float f_IEEEtoPIC(int32 f) and the reverse (in case you need to send anything back in IEEE format), int32 f_PICtoIEEE(float f). You have to get the four bytes in the right order, which you can do in the union. These routines are in ieeefloat.c.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: