CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Function too Large - Main (?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizona Chris

Function too Large - Main (?)
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:40 pm     Reply with quote

HI all,

I run into this error message from time to time, and usually when I have a deadline to meet at work! Ive seen this come up with the ROM only at 35% sometimes, making it a real enigma. it prevents the program from compiling.

So here are my questions on this issue, Id like your thoughts on any of them if possible:

-- IS there a maximum size for Main or any other function if you are not limited by program space (ROM) ?

-- Is there a way around this If I encounter it while programming?

-- Can this be CHANGED to a higher limit?

-- is there a way to monitor the size of main so I can see this limit coming?

Right now I usually have to cut blocks of program out and make them a separate function, move it out of main and that works. For a while anyway...

Im using windows XPpro, and version PCW version 5.036

Chris
asmboy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:14 pm     Reply with quote

1- what sort of program rom / main() size are we talking about?

2- is there a time domain reason all the code is in main?
It must make for some interesting looking, fun to trace code.

3- do you merge library code directly into main() too?
jeremiah

Re: Function too Large - Main (?)
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:39 pm     Reply with quote

In general large all in one main's are a bad idea for a variety of reasons.

Arizona Chris wrote:

-- IS there a maximum size for Main or any other function if you are not limited by program space (ROM) ?

The C standard does not define one, so theoretically no. However, various implementations have physical limits and it isn't just ROM size that affects that. The ability (or lack of) to cross page boundaries and how big pages are sized are just some of the other considerations.

Arizona Chris wrote:

-- Is there a way around this If I encounter it while programming?

Break your program into functions. The is the appropriate way.

Arizona Chris wrote:

-- Can this be CHANGED to a higher limit?

I have never seen an option to personally, but this is technically an implementation defined characteristic.

Arizona Chris wrote:

-- is there a way to monitor the size of main so I can see this limit coming?

Check the assembly/LST file, the SYM file, and the Hex file. Between the 3 you can tell how big the main is getting. Then compare with appropriate datasheets/technical documents.
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:33 pm     Reply with quote

With PICs all functions including main() have to fit on a memory page. Several small functions may fit on one page but no function can cross a page boundary. If your chip has 4 ROM pages then no function can be bigger than 25% of ROM. Generally many small functions are easier for the compiler to fit on the pages.

Main too large?
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:26 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, I agree it is proper coding practice to use sub functions in main and not try to fit your entire program into one function. Our company policies on this are pretty standard, writing code in defined blocks as function makes it far easier for the next guy to understand and change!

I think the code crossing boundry for a main function is probably what I see occasionally. the latest one I saw this in had lots of big numbers in main ("magic numbers") that probably filled the space up without realizing it.

The more I am in tune with this program structure, the more efficient I can be in creating the best code for our line of products. Thanks again for your responses, its always a learning experience and so much fun!

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: