CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Issue with Direct Compile from Flash drive with exFAT

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidd

Issue with Direct Compile from Flash drive with exFAT
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:40 pm     Reply with quote

Hello All,

I recently purchased a new flash drive because my old one with NTFS was starting to fail CRC.

I never had any problems editing directly off the drive and saving the compilation there.

so for my new flash drive, which is the exact same model (Corsair Vega 64G), I decided to format using exFAT because it is supposed to minimize read/writes to the drive and extend usable life.

Problem is, the new drive with exFAT completely hangs when using CCS compiler read/writes during compiling. I mean, it must hang for like 20-25 seconds before it completes.

But get this -- the drive works normally for general transfer of files back and forth through the USB port.

So I reformatted the new drive back to NTFS and it is lightning fast like the old one.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Dave
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:56 pm     Reply with quote

Help if you told us what OS. The behaviour has changed with different OS's.
ExFAT is normally between perhaps 10 & 50% slower for general I/O than NTFS. Faster though for many reads, and when handling large files like video.
However one thing is that ExFAT defaults to, is a very large cluster size. 128KB for your drive, versus 4KB for NTFS. If the code in CCS triggers cluster based I/O for small transactions, it'll perform very badly with ExFAT.
davidd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:15 am     Reply with quote

I think you hit the nail on the head.

This is with win7x64

The new drive came formatted to exFAT 128k, and I had formatted the old one to NTFS 4k.

I will try this out on another drive and post the results, unless someone can verify this.

ANYONE USING A FLASH DRIVE TAKE NOTE.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: